The problem: There's no video when I turn on the machine. Everything sounds normal except that there is a long beep and two short beeps when the machine POSTs. There have been NO hardware modifications to the machine for about 8 months.
Manuals I can find online indicate that this is a video error.
What I've tried:
- Removing all USB devices (all devices in fact)
- Clearing the CMOS
- Booting without a videocard
- Booting with a brand new videocard
- Testing each stick of ram individually in each individual slot
What I'm thinking:
Either the mobo or the PSU are dead. The PSU is <12 months old, and the mobo is ~6 years old, so I think it's more likely the mobo rather than the PSU. However, it's easier to pick up a spare PSU and test it, so I'll do that saturday, but in the meantime, is there anything else I should try before biting the bullet and getting a new mobo/CPU/ram? Nobody makes LGA 775 mobos anymore.
Full specs if anyone's interested:
- Mobo: MSI P7N SLI Platinum (6 years old)
- CPU: Intel core 2 quad q6700 (6 years old)
- Video: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 (4 years old), also tried with a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 (<1 day old)
- PSU: Thermaltake (Purepower?) 500W (~8 months old)
- RAM: 4x 2gb sticks I picked up as a shell shocker off of newegg about. Never came with heatspreaders so no real logos/no idea on the manufacturer. (5 years old)
- Peripherals: There is a DVD-Rom drive attached (>7 years old)