Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 long and 2 short beeps on POST

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robanada

Robanada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

The problem: There's no video when I turn on the machine. Everything sounds normal except that there is a long beep and two short beeps when the machine POSTs. There have been NO hardware modifications to the machine for about 8 months.

Manuals I can find online indicate that this is a video error.

What I've tried:
  • Removing all USB devices (all devices in fact)
  • Clearing the CMOS
  • Booting without a videocard
  • Booting with a brand new videocard
  • Testing each stick of ram individually in each individual slot

What I'm thinking:
Either the mobo or the PSU are dead. The PSU is <12 months old, and the mobo is ~6 years old, so I think it's more likely the mobo rather than the PSU. However, it's easier to pick up a spare PSU and test it, so I'll do that saturday, but in the meantime, is there anything else I should try before biting the bullet and getting a new mobo/CPU/ram? Nobody makes LGA 775 mobos anymore. 

Full specs if anyone's interested:
  • Mobo: MSI P7N SLI Platinum (6 years old)
  • CPU: Intel core 2 quad q6700 (6 years old)
  • Video: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 (4 years old), also tried with a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 (<1 day old)
  • PSU: Thermaltake (Purepower?) 500W (~8 months old)
  • RAM: 4x 2gb sticks I picked up as a shell shocker off of newegg about. Never came with heatspreaders so no real logos/no idea on the manufacturer. (5 years old)
  • Peripherals: There is a DVD-Rom drive attached (>7 years old)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

Hi Robanada. Just checked the online specifications for your Motherboard model and looking at the Detailed for PCI slots (x16) shows 2 different interface. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P7N_SLI_Platinum__P7N_Zilent.html#?div=Detail

Bult_ar_org.gifSlots • Three PCI Express x16 slots
- the mazarine slot PCI Express x 16 slot (PCI_E1) supports PCIE 2.0 x 16 mode.
- the two light-blue PCI Express x 16 slots (PCI_E2 & PCI_E3) support PCI Express x 8 mode only.
- supports SLI technology.

Was any of this slots tested already?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users