Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Much More Spam!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

Recently, I've noticed that I've been getting a gigantic wave of spam in my email. Some of it even blasts past Gmail's excelent spam blocker. I've resorted to the BlueFrog Anti-Spam filter now in addition with my Gmail spam blocker; however, I would like to know why there's been so much spam lately? Is it just me or do you all feel waves of spam coming at you now? Unfortunately, BlueFrog's website is under maintenance so I'm working with a trial version of MailWasher.

PS: Could this be due to my website? My email is posted there for quick-contact help on MSN Messenger.

Edited by Elendil, 16 May 2006 - 04:37 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

Could this be due to my website? My email is posted there

Yes most likely. You may want to read up on "Spambots", also google webcrawlers. Here is a "spambot" link for you. http://www.turnstep.com/Spambot/info.html

Be (Spamalot) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

Any time you post your E-mail address in a public place, whether it is here at BC or any forum, or on a webpage, it is subject to harvesting by spambots that prowl the net looking for anything resembling an address, harvest it, and then make it available for sending out spam. For this reason, a seasoned user of the web would never post his primary E-mail address or his IM name, but use a throw-away account or name instead.
Again, some Spam, when opened, returns that information to the sender to indicate that it has hit a "live" in-box; reading E-mails in plain text tends to close this loophole.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

I know, it's just odd that two months ago my website was running and my email was there, and now all of the sudden I start getting the spam... At least, it's odd to me.
Stanford '14

#5 BobbySocks

BobbySocks

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:23 AM

hey! you can put your email address to your website not as a text but a picture :thumbsup: for example, type it in simply ms paint or some other picture editing program and then save it as a small picture, so it won't be visible for spamming robots :flowers:
I use Spy Sweeper.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

BobbySocks,

You can also type your address this way : myemailaddress at myserviceprovider dot com
That foils most spambots but lets humans interpret and have access. Hope that helps

Be (visible email) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

Would putting extra stuff in your email address fool spam bots.

Example: My actual email address is TestingEmail.gmail.com. If I added -nospam- to my email address (testingemail-nospam-.gmail.com) and posted that email address on my website with a note underneath it telling people to remove the -nospam- in order to email me, would that foil spambots?
Stanford '14

#8 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:11 PM

hey! you can put your email address to your website not as a text but a picture :thumbsup: for example, type it in simply ms paint or some other picture editing program and then save it as a small picture, so it won't be visible for spamming robots :flowers:

Here are a couple of sites that will generate email buttons for you. You have probobly seen these style of buttons many times around the web.

http://services.nexodyne.com/email/index.php
http://www.lucazappa.com/brilliantMaker/buttonImage.php

Here is a simple Javascript email hider that I have used for over a year without any Spam.

This first part goes between the <head></head> tags of your html document. You will need to edit the following 3 parts to your needs:

var displaytext = "Contact Me"; (This is what will be displayed on your page)
var mail1 = "emailname"; (This is the part of your email address before the @ symbol.)
var mail2 = "yoursite.com"; (This is the part after the @ symbol.)

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
//<!--
function stopSpam() {
var displaytext = "Contact Me";
var mail1 = "emailname";
var mail2 = "yoursite.com";
var subject = "?subject=Comments";
document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + mail1 + "@" + mail2 + subject + ">" + displaytext + "</a>")
}
//-->
</script>

This next little code snippet goes between the <body></body> tags where you intend the "Contact Me" link to be displayed. You don't have to change anything in this part.

<script type="text/javascript">
//<!--
stopSpam();
//-->
</script>

Hope this helps,

nos :trumpet:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#9 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

Wow! Love the links.
Stanford '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic