Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RKill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Enidtoo

Enidtoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

How can I get an icon for RKill to be placed on my task bar?  I downloaded it...but I don't know how to get the icon there.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

right click on the icon in the folder view> pin to task bar.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Like most malware removal tools you should download a new one every time you need it though, to make sure you have the most up to date version.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

How can I get an icon for RKill to be placed on my task bar

Hi -

I never have an icon in the Tray / Taskbar, but just a desktop icon, and then I delete it once finished.

As from above, the program will be Updated, but your best way is Uninstall and Reinstall as needed.

That is my preferred way of using these programs.

If you have other questions, there is ONE main topic to cover this specific program, so please post there.

All comments and questions on RKill should be posted here => RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program

Edited by noknojon, 21 March 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

RKill is not designed to be a comprehensive malware removal tool...it is primarily designed to terminate the most common malicious processes that prevent other security tools from being executed, complete a scan or used to disinfect the system so using RKill is not required in all situations.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

RKill is not designed to be a comprehensive malware removal tool...it is primarily designed to terminate the most common malicious processes that prevent other security tools from being executed, complete a scan or used to disinfect the system so using RKill is not required in all situations.

Speaking of RKill, is this a valid direct-download link? http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

The other links from the BC downloads page use randomized URLs for the download, making it impossible to make a script to download newer versions.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Yes it is a direct download link. I believe it was used before the Download hosting section was created.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Speaking of RKill, is this a valid direct-download link? http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

The other links from the BC downloads page use randomized URLs for the download, making it impossible to make a script to download newer versions.

Yes, this is valid, but if you use a script to download a new version please use the wget -t option. Failure to do so and downloading the file too often will lead to an ip address being banned. By using the -t option your script should only download if the file is newer than the one you currently have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users