Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding extra hosts file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FXWG

FXWG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have a new (2 weeks old) Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 7 Pro. Every time I reboot it starts opening windows (in Firefox my default) to adfoc.us, donate, and all kinds of other crap. I checked and something is adding an additional hosts file with hundreds of different entries. Norton 360, AdwCleaner, and Micosoft MSRT don't see anything. I can just go in and delete the extra entry every time but i would like to get rid of the thing. Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2014 - 11:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Start uninstalling junk from your Add/remove programs list. If you're not sure what something is, Google it. There is a LOT you can remove, which will make your machine perform better and pwn you less.

Dell is notorious for dumping crap on their new machines. My company stopped buying their machines for this exact reason, they even do it to their business machines.

You can even try PC Decrapifier, it is safe and easy to use. As always though, make sure you set a system restore point before messing with your program entries.

:busy:

#3 FXWG

FXWG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I did that right after I got the computer and don't see anything left that doesn't look legitimate but thanks for the idea.

Edited by FXWG, 21 March 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#4 FXWG

FXWG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

I also don't want to start making all sorts of changes to my machine until I'm sure what's going on.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I have some ideas but being a malware removal student I wouldn't want to lead you astray...

Maybe someone else has encountered this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users