Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card - Fan Spinning. but no display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi all,

Have a GeForce 9800GT graphics card. On board graphics working fine, but when try to use DVI or VGA on graphics card, I'm getting nothing. Fan is spinning ok. Happened before, but just simply reinserted card and it was ok. Could there be a problem with PCI-E slot?

ndonaldson2912

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Have you tried a different card in that pci-e slot? Do you have a different slot to test the 9800gt in on your motherboard? Re-seating (take it out and put it back in a few times to clean up the contact points) the card may work. It could be the card or the motherboard.

Check for blown or bulging capacitors on the video card and the motherboard if you have any bulging or blown caps, consider replacing those parts example here: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=708rU9HFEoP1qgH4zIC4AQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=825&bih=414

If you can find a different video card to test with, that would be what I would try first after re-seating the card.

Edited by zingo156, 20 March 2014 - 03:53 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

In addition to zingo156's excellent advice, your BIOS may be one where you have to disable onboard video.

#4 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, I have only one pci-e slot. I think the card may be damaged. Will check for blown capacitors. Thanks for your help

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

i have one of those 9800gt cards. it is sensitive about recovering from sleep/hibernation/standby etc. it probably has a 6 pin connector on it. make sure it is plugged in.

mine started acting funny one time. i just unseated it and uninstalled the drivers and ran on the onboard for a couple of days and then reinstalled it. and all was fine again.

those cards usually need about 100w and if the power supply isn't  around 450 watts or better, the card may go black like what you describe.

also, 9800gt are notoriously hot because of the fan exhaust configuration and without fan speed adjustment (msi afterburner or rivatuner) on them, will idle around 60 c. over time, that kind of consistent heat will damage components on the board.

if you can try the card in a different machine to see if it is absolutely black, that will deduct a few variables.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users