Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Recover Files If The Hard Drive Has Been Formated?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

Hello,

I have in my possession a hard drive that the recovery program had been run on, in error. It formatted over hundreds of Word and Excel documents as well as Outlook emails etc. So, I am trying to recover them.

I ran PC Inspector File Recovery program and it found hundreds of files, the folders were green in color, meaning the chances of success of recovery were good. I recovered some Word documents. They appear normal, but when I open them they are all encrypted, or at least look like they are. I was offered the opportunity to change the way Word reads them, but none of the settings worked.

Then I ran DataRecovery program. It found 37,000 recoverable files. When I recovered an Excel file the icon looked perfectly normal. Here is a screenshot:

Posted Image

When I open the file, it looks like this:

Posted Image

Any ideas?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

After running into a similar issue myself at onetime, you need to find and obtain the Personal key Certificate you used when you made these encrypted files, and then install it in trusted certificats on your PC to be able to decrypt the files. If you already have that personal key, and the old SID of the machine, you could use a program like NEWSID to recreate the environment - and then decrypt them using the cypher command while logged on as an administrator. I used to have a link to some pages explaining how to do this, but since I back up my keys now - after that one time, I discarded them.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

But they were not created as encrypted in the first place. Perhaps they are not actually encrypted, only look that way?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 16 May 2006 - 04:41 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

But they were not created as encrypted in the first place. Perhaps they are not actually encrypted, only look that way?

hmm...well that image you posted makes me think the files were damaged during the (accidental) recovery process. Was that document a spead sheet? I really don't know all that much about excel to be of any help here. Otherwize I'd say sure looks encrypted to me. :thumbsup:

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

I agree, it does look encrypted. It was a spreadsheet.

I have recoverd a Word doc. The icon is perfect, but when trying to open it up in Word I get this message

Word must use a Import Converter to display this document correctly. Would you like to install one?

I click YES and then it prompts me for my Office 2003 disk, which I put in the CD drive. Then the installation fails as it can't file a .cab file it needs. I have tried with my backup CD too just in case the CD was scratched or something. So then when I try to open the Word doc I get this:

Posted Image

I have tried different encoding, but no joy.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 16 May 2006 - 05:10 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

well that image you posted makes me think the files were damaged

I have come to the same conclusion. Not recoverable. Thanks for your input!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users