Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Motherboard Or Cpu Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snbase2

snbase2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 2500. One of my friends gave it to me because they couldnt get it to work, so im trying to fix it. The problem is when i plug in the ac adapter it flashes yellow for a second on the LED panel and the fans spin for a second, then it stops. I can only hear a faint noise, so it sounds like something has power. Also when i plug it in, it sounds like the computer is about to start then it stops. No display either.

I dont know if i need a new motherboard or cpu or if i can fix it in anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

did your friewnd drop it? i have soldered many power connections on the back/side of the board, where someone wasnt so careful about it. factory solder dosent seem to be all that great so i beef it up a tiny bit. if u arent so good at soldering, take the board out, (u should anyway to check the power leads), bring it to a computer shop to do it. you should be able to verify if it is in fact the connection by visual contact once it is out.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:48 AM

i think that something wrong with your power supply, may be your friend overburn it? as it's posible try to change it.

#4 snbase2

snbase2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

I took out the motherboard and everything looks to be intact. The power lead on the motherboard is not loose or anything. What would be signs of it being bad. There are no burn marks either.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hmmm....perhaps take a can of air (air duster, etc.) and clean it out really good? Make sure that there is no dust in the fans, specially the cpu fan. It almost seems as if your fans are starting to spin but being restricted dirt etc. I have seen similar problems and this has been the solution. Pull the side panel off and clean it out really good, paying close attention to the fans (mainly the cpu fan).

While the side panel is open, check all the connections to make sure that everything is seated correctly. Loose connections are a pain, and can cause a variety of problems.

If this is not it, can you check the fans to make sure that they all work? Make sure that they all start to spin. Some computers wont' even start if the cpu fan doesn't work (happened to my uncle's Compaq). If this is the case, and there's a fan that's not working, replacing it might solve the problem.

If none of this works, post back and let us know, and we'll continue to try to help!

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 snbase2

snbase2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

First i want to say my computer is a DEll laptop. Second i just found out that my ac adapter has been recalled so i dont know if that could of been the problem. Everything is clean inside the computer. The fans spin for a second when you first plug in the ac adapter. And you can hear it trying to start up but stops. I dont have another laptop to test the fans or anyting on.

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

Talk about coincidence: See this thread about bad power adapters being replaced by the manufacturer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users