Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1reclaimed

1reclaimed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Dell vostro laptop running win XP home sp 3 about five years old, was working fine and then about two weeks ago screen when black. Powered off and restarted no problems then the screen when black again a couple of days ago, machine appears to be operating as I can see shadow of windows startup screen and desktop. Have done the F2 and F12 on startup but no access and it continues to boot into black screen ville, was going to upgrade to win 7 have some stuff on C: that I'd like to move to other partions thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

If you can still see a shadow or picture it could be the inverter that drives the backlight or the backlight itself that failed. Try using a bright flashlight hold it very close to the screen, can you see a picture? If so, it is very likely to be the inverter or backlight.

Some indications of a failing backlight are a red tint to the color.

In rare cases before an inverter fails, it may take longer than normal for the backlight to come on, it may flicker or go dim.

Inverters are cheap likely around $20 U.S. The backlight would require replacing the lcd panel. The older screens are often more expensive than the newer led panels running somewhere between $60-$200, sometimes you can not find new panels. Always use the exact part numbers when ordering replacements. Use the part number directly on the part you are replacing not just the dell computer make/model. Best of luck!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Zingo156 I can see the screen information with a bright light as you said, there was never a red tint to the screen so is it safe to asume that the inverter is the problem ?

Is the inverter an easy thing to access and change out read the numbers on it etc. or is it something like take it to a local shop for replacement ?

Thinking about hooking up an external monitor, did it and monitor is working now can see desktop, thanks for your HELP

Edited by 1reclaimed, 20 March 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

If you never saw a red tint, I would start with the inverter, it is the cheapest part. Not all backlights fail with a red tint but quite often I saw this, some suddenly just go out. The inverter can be replaced somewhat easily. You can likely find a youtube video of how to do it. Just youtube with keywords (your dell make and model) replace inverter.

It usually requires removing the plastic face plate which covers the lcd panel, the little rubber screw covers need to be removed, then the screws, and then you need to gently pry on the "bezel" (it is called) from the lcd panel side out (in most cases) not from the outside edge. I usually use my thumbs to pry and pull out while holding a finger on the outer edge I put a bit of pressure on the outer edge to somewhat push the plastic inward toward the lcd panel a bit. This causes the plastic latches to disconnect from the back cover. DO THIS GENTLY and slowly.

If you break the bezel it is not the end of the world, they typically run $20-$40.

Edited by zingo156, 20 March 2014 - 11:58 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users