Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver issues on fresh HP recovery from recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JamesRF

JamesRF

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62 417NR having problems. It was bought used and at some point started having  cd-drive malfunctions where it no longer detected hardware and the drive didn't work. I reloaded completely from the recovery partition, it worked fine several days and I was able to install office but after that it stopped working again. I have tried an external usb cd drive but that doesn't work either. At this point, I'm thinking it has driver issues from the recovery and I'd need to buy the disk from HP but I'd like a second opinion as they are not free.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is? I've never had this happen on a fresh install...

Edited by JamesRF, 20 March 2014 - 08:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

could you check on device manager does any yellow or red exclamation?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 JamesRF

JamesRF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Yup the cd drive has a yellow exclamation next to it. That was the first thing I checked. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, updating from windows update. Nothing seems to work and this normally a pretty standard and smooth process.Windows normally loads a generic driver for the CD drive.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Try the steps in this Knowledge Base.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

#5 JamesRF

JamesRF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Try the steps in this Knowledge Base.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Thank you! #3 fixed the issue. I've never had to delete the upper and lower filters to get a cd drive to work, but I have heard of it before. I didn't know that could be an issue with Windows 7, I figured it was an XP Vista problem. Any idea what would cause it to happen so soon after a fresh install?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Your Welcome, Not sure why it did this on a new install. Possible corruption of a registry entry? Sometimes computers do crazy things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users