Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Unknown user folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vzero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Hey all,

I'm posting concerning my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I was going through my computer as usual until I saw another user folder in the users directory. Its contents had me searching for a while as to what they could be and where they came from, but no dice.

The directory in question is C:\Users\ADMINI~1. It goes deeper to C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp, where there are 5 files so far.

They are WMZuneComm.etl.001 up to 005. 001 was created this past sunday on 3/16 and everyday after that, I assume every time I used the computer.

To see, I deleted that user folder and restarted, and it was there again with another file starting at 001. Programs I've run so far are Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and TDSS Killer. Each scan yielded no threats.

I just wanted to see if there was any cause for concern for this user folder and the files that are being generated each time the computer is turned on.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,156 posts
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

So, did you have username administrator? And what you delete? The whole user folder or temp folder in that user?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 vzero

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

My user account uses my name and is an admin account. In the users directory there was my user folder, C:\Users\MyName and the folder I mentioned.

I attempted to delete the whole C:\Users\ADMINI~1 folder, and upon restarting it was still there.

Thanks for replying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users