Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Might have a damaged CPU

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

I was playing the Elder Scrolls Online Beta for about 90 minutes. After I logged I noticed Core Temp 1.0 RC5 said my CPU temp spiked at 114c. I have an AMD Phenom II 965 (3.4). The highest I have ever gotten that CPU is 56c. I have a Cooler Master Hype 212+ fan on it. I'm afraid it might be damaged now, any way I can test it to see? So far I haven't had any lockups, bluescreens or errors, but I haven't run any games since the 114c temp spike. I've rebooted and everything seems to be fine. I was told to try Prime 95, but would that push my CPU over the edge if it's damaged?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

Did you clean out dust, checking that fans are working or not, or check the thermal paste?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Yes I have cleaned out the dust, fans all working, but haven't checked the paste since the fan is a nightmare to get back on.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

It may be tough to determine if you have any problems. What I would recommend highly is monitoring your temperature to make sure you do not go above the maximum which I believe is 65c for that cpu. If your temperature is going above that, check to make sure your cpu cooler has not come slightly lose. If it has, remove it, put new thermal compound on, and then put it back on. Make sure your fan is operating correctly.

As long as your cpu is being cooled correctly, prime 95 should not cause any problems. Make SURE if you do run prime 95 to also monitor your temperature, prime 95 will use 100% of your cpu, more than most games will do, it will get hot but with proper cooling it will stay below the maximum.

Also I am wondering why your computer did not shut down to avoid damage. From most boards I have seen, thermal shut down occured around 72c for the cpu. Check in bios that this option is enabled, it may save you should this happen again.

Edited by zingo156, 20 March 2014 - 07:26 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

I checked the BIOS and there isn't an option to shutdown on overheating, just to notify user. 114c is extremely high and there was nothing happening in game to make me think anything was wrong. Some have suggested that the Core Temp program might of messed up and put the wrong temp.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Yes 114c is very high, sometimes software can be off. You can try other software and see if they show different temps. HWmonitor is what I use most of the time. It seems to be accurate. I had a phenom 955 black edition and it worked with that. It also seems to work with my intel cpu. It could depend more on the main board though and in both cases I was using an ASUS. HWmonitor shows mininum, max, and current for each core. Might be worth a try. Some of those after market cpu coolers are no fun to take off.

Edited by zingo156, 20 March 2014 - 08:22 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

I wouldn't say it was damaged, just make sure it doesn't happen again, I also wouldn't run stress tests until you are sure the temp readings are either wrong or you fix the high temps. Have you tried speedfan

What motherboard are you using? As stated, some hardware temp monitors tend to not report the temp correctly. Your motherboard my support fan control in bios, so if you state the specs of your motherboard, I can look up the manual and see what settings it has. 

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-770-USB3 AM3 3.0 ATX

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,382 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Even though it is a pain I recommend putting new paste on it, getting that hot may have damaged its ability to transfer heat well.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Yeah I know, strange thing is I just tested my CPU by trying a few games. Everything ran fine, but the temps were lower than normal. Idle my CPU use to be around 28c/30c, now it's 25c. I'm watching the temp like a hawk, when I try games I have all the temp programs up on the 2nd monitor.

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2014 - 11:04 AM.
Deleted unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Just as a quick thought: maybe the temperature monitoring software switched to F rather than C, this could explain the 114. Maybe a key combination, scroll wheel or something changed it without you knowing.

Edited by zingo156, 20 March 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#12 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I didn't even think of that. That would explain a few things, like not getting any warnings or shutdown.

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Seems logical to me: 114F is roughly 45C. I would think any computer would shut down before hitting 114c on a cpu. If you never get a high temp again that would be a good indication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users