Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in GRUB Rescue with limited commands.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flickdog93

flickdog93

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

I accidentally deleted the wrong partition as I cleared my hdd so it's now completely reformatted with windows 7 installed on it. However this was all done when the hdd was plugged into a different computer. Whenever I put the drive back into its original laptop it loads up grub rescue instead of MBR with limited commands and I'm not really sure how to switch it to MBR. I can't press F12, F10, delete, or insert at startup to go into any sort of boot menu. I can just mess with GRUB. It shows the onboard hdd with windows on it and my usb windows 7 install drive. I don't know how to access the drive to run it to use the cmd line to fix the MBR so I really need someone's help.

When I run the ls (L not I) command I see (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1). hd0 is the onboard hdd, and hd1 is the recovery usb.

This is on an ASUS K52F laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

If you have been dual booting with Linux, then you probably know one of the Linux boot managers like Grub or LILO has been installed in the MBR of your hard drive. What can you do when you no longer want Linux on that hard drive? This tutorial will show you how to use your 7 DVD and BOOTSECT.EXE to restore the "bootsector code" of the MBR and allow you to begin booting to Windows 7 again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Try that.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 March 2014 - 03:45 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I have tried that. It won't let me boot from my usb that has windows 7 on it + I don't have a windows 7 home premium install disc. So all I can think of is to take out the hdd again. put it in my desktop to install ubuntu on it and then try it again back in the laptop. I can access the files when I plug it into the desktop, and I even tried doing bootsect through the desktop, but it doesn't do anything unless I do it through the laptop.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

try this download boot repair disk

http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

burn to cd or usb stick and boot it up should repair (follow instructions)

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'll try this. I've been busy so this has taken the back burner.

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

oh and select the option that says most common repairs. i have to use all time even with linux. and i install win7 along side linux and had to use. good luck

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users