Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on Enterprise Malware software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vstarman

vstarman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Looking to hear opinions and experiences on anti-virus/anti-malware software for an enterprise environment. We are currently using Trend and are disappointed with the level of protection we are getting. It seems with the advances in malware that having great real-time protection has become more of a requirement. Anyway, just looking to see what people are using to protect their network against more advanced attacks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Hello vstarman!

What do you mean under enterprise environment?

Thank you!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

What do you mean under enterprise environment?

That would mean some sort of Company.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

For others who may not understand the definition of Enterprise in an IT scenario: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_architecture

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

Looking to hear opinions and experiences on anti-virus/anti-malware software for an enterprise environment. We are currently using Trend and are disappointed with the level of protection we are getting. It seems with the advances in malware that having great real-time protection has become more of a requirement. Anyway, just looking to see what people are using to protect their network against more advanced attacks.

How large is your enterprise environment? Large enough to require centralized management?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

These articles may be helpful in making your choice:As is the case for home users, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for all organizations and there is single no best anti-virus.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

That would mean some sort of Company.

I know it is a Company. :)

quietman7 gave you very useful links.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 20 March 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#8 vstarman

vstarman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

How large is your enterprise environment? Large enough to require centralized management?

Sorry for the delay in replying. We have hundreds of machines. It would in fact require centralized management. We are now testing software from other vendors to see if they can met our needs. I will look at the links others have posted as it looks like there is some very good information in there. I was posting this question in part because if you search "anti-virus" or "anti-malware reviews". There are some obvious reviews that are just shills by the vendors.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

...if you search "anti-virus" or "anti-malware reviews". There are some obvious reviews that are just shills by the vendors.

Yes they are (for obvious reasons) so if possible, it's always better to look for independent reviews it they are available.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying. We have hundreds of machines. It would in fact require centralized management. We are now testing software from other vendors to see if they can met our needs. I will look at the links others have posted as it looks like there is some very good information in there. I was posting this question in part because if you search "anti-virus" or "anti-malware reviews". There are some obvious reviews that are just shills by the vendors.

For centralized management, there are the traditional solutions (example McAfee with ePO server), but there are also companies who offer cloud based services, like Panda,

and then you don't need to install a centralized management console on one of your servers, but you login to the cloud solution of the AV company.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 cupajotogo

cupajotogo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi vstarman, I've been using McAfee's ePolicy Orchestrator for 6 years now at three different large enterprises (10,000, 50,000, and 1,000 nodes respectively). It's a central pane of glass by which I can manage all the McAfee software on the endpoints. This includes VSE, HIPS, App Control, etc... It's an Agent based solution much like SCCM and honestly I think it's the best out there for managing a large environment. I can quickly get updates out to thousands of systems if/when there's a zero day threat. I can upgrade all those systems to compliant versions. I can quickly identify systems that are not updating their DATs etc...Like any software it has limitations. For example their reporting functionality is still wanting. They've been getting better with each version but in my opinion they've got a ways to go...

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

We have hundreds of machines. It would in fact require centralized management. We are now testing software from other vendors to see if they can met our needs.

For this type of environment, you need personalised advice from an I.T. company to fully handle the problem.

Any company that uses 5 or more linked units should have full I.T. support as part of their normal solutions these days unless they have a very bright and well educated employee..

Any advice from here should only be taken as "vague", and "general" only, not specific .........

Some of us look after single or often just a few linked units, but Hundreds of linked units is not a guessing game, it is serious business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users