Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, but I need some advice...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smoketwibz

smoketwibz

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hello,

I'm about to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.  By upgrade I mean, I'm going to completely wipe the hard drive clean and install Windows 7 from scratch.  I have reformatted and started from scratch several hundred times, but I've always used the factory restore disks that came with my computer.  In other words, I've always installed the same operating system that my computer came with.  I know from working on other peoples computers that upgrading the operating system doesn't always go as planned.  I know that some of my hardware isn't going to be installed automatically after this process is complete. 

How should I go about backing the drivers, so that I can get stuff up and running once I'm finished with this process?

My biggest concern is that Windows 7 won't recognize my ethernet card, so should I just download the driver for this device, or should I download drivers for all of my devices?

Thank you for your time, I'm looking forward to getting on with this process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

What are your PC specs? Will that pc run Windows 7? It may run it but it might be slow.

Have you tried Microsoft upgrade advisor?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

#3 smoketwibz

smoketwibz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that it'll run Windows 7.  I'm running the advisor thing right now.  Thanks.

3.0GHz Pentium 4

2GB of ram

650 GB hard drive

Edited by smoketwibz, 19 March 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#4 smoketwibz

smoketwibz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

The advisor tells me that the "Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family" device is not compatible.  So, I went to the Intel website, and it says that they don't have a Windows 7 driver for my device. 

So, does this mean that I'm screwed?

Edited by smoketwibz, 19 March 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis?

Big Bang Theory.  - Season 4, Episode 5

Edited by NickAu1, 19 March 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

I have no idea what the user above is trying to state.. but..

Sadly no it will not work, intel dropped support for that chipset a while ago, and it appears the windows xp driver really won't work. Might be time to buy a new system. 

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 smoketwibz

smoketwibz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis?

Big Bang Theory.  - Season 4, Episode 5

Is the answer ... screwed?

I have no idea what the user above is trying to state.. but..

Sadly no it will not work, intel dropped support for that chipset a while ago, and it appears the windows xp driver really won't work. Might be time to buy a new system. 

Thanks. 

#8 smoketwibz

smoketwibz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

If I purchased a new graphics card would that allow me to install Windows 7?

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yes.

Any Linux Distro would be happy with those pc specs. While you may need a new pc for windows keep that 1 install a linux and play around with it... you may just like it.

Edited by NickAu1, 19 March 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#10 smoketwibz

smoketwibz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yes.

Any Linux Distro would be happy with those pc specs. While you may need a new pc for windows keep that 1 install a linux and play around with it... you may just like it.

Where do I get Linux?  How much does it cost?  Are programs that Windows uses compatible with Linux?

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

Where do I get Linux?

http://www.linuxmint.com/

http://www.ubuntu.com/

How much does it cost?

Its Free.. So is most of the software for linux.  Eg Open Office  Gimp....

Are programs that Windows uses compatible with Linux?

Short answer is no.

Some software may run in Wine but don't count on it.

What I did for stuff that my wife "must have"  that runs on Windows is set up a Virtual machine on linux and installed Xp on the VM .

Edited by NickAu1, 20 March 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

If I purchased a new graphics card would that allow me to install Windows 7?

Unfortunately that will not solve the problem although based from my own personal experience, i have a system that is nearly identical specifications with your system that runs Windows 7 smoothly, although it is slow but it works.

Edited by killerx525, 20 March 2014 - 01:17 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 BangEmBoy

BangEmBoy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Greetings my friend, don't give up hope yet . After doing some research on your problem, I believe that I can help you to solve this issue with a little clarification and input from you . The first thing that we must determine is which chipset that you Actually have . According to your post, you say that you have the Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset . My research indicates that you have the Intel 915G Express Chipset (Five(5) 830 models were made, and each had different set ups) . In either case, I have found the Correct drivers for you; we just need to ascertain what you Really have . I would like for you to go to this Official Gateway link-http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads (copy and paste it from here) . Once you are on the page, choose select my product from a list, then click on desktops in the first list, 800 Series in the second list and 830 in the last list (830GM won't be listed, they made five(5) different 830 models, with the GM being the top one ). A generic picture of a 830 will come up, and next to it you will see, "Need to know the hardware on your system to choose the right drivers?" ;
click on that and the Gateway Vendor Detection Utility download will pop-up . Download it, save it to your desktop, then run it . After doing so, I would like for you to put that information on here for me .

#14 smoketwibz

smoketwibz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

Sorry about how long it took me to respond ... Here is what it said: 

LAN - Intel

VGA - Intel

0 user(s) are reading this topic