Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make a ATX 12V power on devices with only molex connectors connected?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rsuryase

rsuryase

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

I purchased a ATX12V 2.3 PSU for my RAID enclosure, EnhanceBOX E8 MS. It only requires the molex connectors to be connected. When I flipped the switch on the ATX 12V PSU, the RAID enclosure did not power on. I assume this is because the CPU connector is not connected. Is there an adapter that can connect to the CPU connector so power will flow through the molex connector?

Edited by rsuryase, 19 March 2014 - 09:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rsuryase

rsuryase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

I know what I need. I need a 8 pin and 24 pin to molex adapter. I will google this.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

The molex plugs provide power but you will have to short the pins on the 24 pin plug in order for the PSU to turn on.

DISCLAIMER: We are not responsible if you do any damage to yourself, any kind of living things, nor are we responsible your computer equipment. Please do this at your own risk.

http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

diagram.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

DISCLAIMER: We are not responsible if you do any damage to yourself, any kind of living things, nor are we responsible your computer equipment. Please do this at your own risk.

http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

No disrespect to anybody intended here.

But yes lest all stick paper clips into electric circut's hmmmmm. Is it just me or can anybody else see how dangerous this could be? Next time my toaster gets stuck I may just use a paper clip or metal fork to free it up. Sorry.

Edited by NickAu1, 19 March 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#5 rsuryase

rsuryase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Looks too dangerous or rednecky. I will contact the RAID enclosure manufacturer to purchase a 4 pin male and 20 pin male to molex female adapter. I'm surprise no such adapter available for sale online.

This is what it looks like. I found it in my second RAID enclosure.

9vbkzq.jpg

Edited by rsuryase, 19 March 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

I know it kind of sounds crazy but I've done it lots of times to test a PSU not connected to the motherboard. It's a popular method. You are dealing with 12 volts on the green, and the PSU is off when inserting the clip. Now, taking apart the PSU is a different story. What the OP listed is fine and a lot better than using a paperclip with electrical tape.You can see the green wire that is shorting between red and black at the 24pin plug.

see post #2

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500652/could-this-be-a-psu-problem/

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

I was going to suggest shorting the green to black with a toggle switch soldered to both wires. As posted above in the computer repair world, it is very common to test a psu by shorting the green to the black. Also many projects I have done required 12volts, I used an old computer psu and shorted those wires frequently. I have never seen any damage come from using this method.

For your build, the adapter would be the recommended route.   

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 rsuryase

rsuryase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Anyone know the name of the above adapter and where I can purchase it?

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

It looks like someone hand built that cord by pulling the pins from standard molex connectors and a 4 pin and connecting them to a 24 pin atx extension. All you really need is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261270136936?lpid=82

Then just use the power switch on the back of the psu itself to turn off and on. The picture above they are making use of the main board atx output voltages. If your drives are plugged into the molex/sata plugs from the psu, the plug in the above will just turn on the psu and then all of the output lines will work. No need to have a molex coming from the atx connector. Just use the ones already coming from the psu.

Edited by zingo156, 20 March 2014 - 02:13 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 rsuryase

rsuryase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks will purchase that one if manufacturer's version is too expensive or doesn't reply.

Edited by rsuryase, 20 March 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#11 madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

On the ATX connector you short the (PSU ON) 5 VOLT green wire (pin #16) to ground (pin #3, 7, 15, 17, 18, 19, and 24).  Most just bend a paper clip to fit in pin 16 and pin 15, or you can buy a adaptor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users