Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abit Ip35 Pro Mobo giving 8.2 code

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

My brother bought a new Antec case and after we got everything switched over we went to turn the computer on and the motherboard is giving us an 8.2 code on the led display. The other lights on the motherboard come on and the fans all flicker on for a second and then turn back off. And then it cycles the same symptoms. I downloaded the manual for the mobo and saw 8.2 is related to power supply so we went and bought a brand new 600w (same wattage as the old psu) Corsair psu and the computer is doing the exact same thing with the new psu. I've also tried taking out the CMOS battery for a couple minutes, reseating and taking out the RAM and that hasn't helped.Even tried bypassing our UPS and plugged the computer straight into the wall and it still acts the same way.

Before we moved everything into the new case the computer powered up fine and everything worked ok. So besides swapping out the psu we haven't replaced any other parts in the move to the new case.

Also, before we hit the power button the motherboard is displaying an 0.1 code which I don't know if that's normal or not. We also tried using the onboard power button, bypassing the case's power button and the same symptoms occur.

Any help would be appreciated because besides replacing the motherboard completely or buying a new computer I'm running out of ideas.

Edited by FugeesandFunyuns, 19 March 2014 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Try it with the motherboard out of the case on a non conductive surface. It is possible that something is shorting on the new case (like an incorrectly placed stand off).

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

We tried unplugging everything from the new case (two case fans and the front led pins) and it's still giving the 8.2 code.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Looking at page 1-6 of your manual, I would double check the placement of the power plugs including the 8-pin power connector for the CPU.

#5 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

The 8 pin and 24 pin power plugs are securely connected to the motherboard in the correct spots.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

See these links Some people cured the problem resetting the CMOS with the jumper.

http://forums.hexus.net/abit-care-hexus/118945-ip35-pro-start-up-problem.html

http://forums.hexus.net/abit-care-hexus/130847-abit-ip35-pro-killed-my-psu.html

http://forums.hexus.net/abit-care-hexus/163496-ip35-pro-error-code-8-2-a.html

#7 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

We tried resetting the CMOS with both the jumper and the switch in the back and didn't have any luck. I did just notice that the motherboard acts the same way if I have the 8 pin power connector unplugged or plugged in. Both cases it flickers and posts 8.2.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

I read in some of the threads that one person got the computer to boot by using only 4 pins of the 8 pin plug and used only the 20 pin portion of the 24 pin plug.

I don't know if it is even possible to split you 8 pin plug. This seems a common problem on this motherboard but what is strange is the computer was fine before the case change. If you unplug all wires except the main power cables, including keyboard and mouse it still shows 8.2? Have you attached the front USB wires to the headers? Double check those connections to the manual but not sure this would cause this issue. Did you try jonuck76's suggestion of removing the motherboard from the case?

Other than that I am out of ideas. You might want to post in the abit forum or contact abit's customer support.

http://forums.hexus.net/abit-care-hexus/130847-abit-ip35-pro-killed-my-psu.html#post1337924

Here is a good method for checking the motherboard

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=120814

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#9 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Unfortunately the 8 and 24 pin plugs can't be separated. We tried only having the psu cables plugged into the mobo and nothing from the case plugged in, which I thought was comparable to what jonuck was suggesting. I'm pretty sure the front usb wires are connected properly to the usbfp1 block. I've been trying to boot using the mobo's power button and bypassing the case altogether. I think were just going to try and sell the processor and ram cause he went ahead and bought a new processor, ram and mobo online yesterday. I appreciate the help.

#10 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

I tried another psu that had a 20+4 pin and an additional 4 pin. I tried using only 20 of the pins and a 4 pin instead of 8 and it cycled from 9.9 to 8.3 and then on another try it also cycled between 8.2 and 8.7.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think you purchase of a new Mobo was wise. Have you tried booting with only one RAM module?

#12 FugeesandFunyuns

FugeesandFunyuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Yeah we tried using one stick, no sticks, and two sticks of RAM. Even tried pulling out everything but the processor and then adding parts one by one. I think the motherboard for whatever reason tapped out in the move from the old case. Thanks a lot for the help John I really appreciate it. Feel free to close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users