Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running VERY slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anamte3

anamte3

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Lately my windows 8.1 laptop has been running very slow. I have been trying to download a couple games that I played when I was younger and I am afraid that I may have accidentally downloaded something with malware or worse.  Should i just completely restore my computer or is there a fix that doesn't involve completely erasing back to factory setting cause it such a hassle to add all music and pics and documents back. Please help me fix my laptop. Thanks to anyone who can help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

I'm not an expert in any way!! But if you're worried about malware, I would personally recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware and Avast/AVG/other Anti-Virus program you have installed (all these programs are free ;)) to run scans of your computer and see if anything pops up! If something does, the best thing to do is check what it is first before removing it (it might be trickier to remove than just a 'delete' click!), and if it's tricky to remove, you can check out the 'Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware removal logs' forum section for help. (:

I hope I could've helped you into the right direction (:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Let's start by getting some information.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Nickbc

Nickbc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

If you don't have a virus or malware.  I suggest you upgrade your hard drive to a Solid State Drive (SSD), there are plenty of reviews and videos showing SSD improving computer performance.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

@Kickbc

Before we start making suggestions let's get some information first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm sorry its been a long time since I've been online. I am afraid of downloading too much onto my laptop right now because i use it for school. I have Microsoft office downloaded on it and if something happens i don't know if i can re-download office with the same product key that i have already used. This laptop is my only way i have to attend my classes right now so it just paranoids me that i may mess it up somehow. since i had initially posted this message i have done a complete reset right before my classes started that way i could make sure i had enough hard drive space for the stuff i needed for class. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users