Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot from a CD using a Win8 HP 2000-bf69WM laptop.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Trying to boot off a CD right now and I cannot seem to get it to work.  It seems there is no f8 option with Windows 8. I tried going into BIOS to change the boot order, and put the internal CD/DVD rom on top, still no go. Boot disks work on other systems, and the drive is working fine. I just cant boot from it.

Is this an issue with UEFI?

Any idea?

EDIT:  I should probaly state I am not trying to boot from a WIN7 disk.  I need to be able to boot from a bootable linux distro every once in a while while being able to get back into Win 8 for daily use.

Is it possible to enable legacy boot to boot off the linux disk, then revert back to UEFI boot when I am finished and need to go back to Windows 8?

Edited by digitalmatter, 19 March 2014 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

I think F8 that you talking about is for BIOS, there are several button that could be use for boot option depends on BIOS, some BIOS use F8 and some BIOS use F10 or F12 or another button.
the easiest way is to set it up from BIOS Setup - Boot Option (find this option or something like this, there was plenty name for this option).

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I changed the boot order in BIOS ( UEFI ) and it did not seem to allow me to boot from CD.   I also disabled secure boot.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Disable SecureBoot in BIOS and see if you can Boot from a CD. You should also disable "Fastboot" if you have that option in BIOS

Edit: Is there a legacy setting in BIOS? UEFI can be a problem. I had to modify a Windows 7 install disk in order for it to boot from UEFI.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#5 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

There is a legacy setting in BIOS. I was under the impression if I am using WIN 8 I cannot switch to the Legacy setting.    

Secureboot is disabled though.  I changed the boot order in UEFI to the internal cd drive as the first boot.  

Would switching over to legacy be a problem if I am using Win8?

EDIT:  I should probaly state I am not trying to boot from a WIN7 disk.  I need to be able to boot from a bootable linux distro every once in a while.

Edited by digitalmatter, 19 March 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I believe you would change the BIOS back to uefi before you booted to Windows 8.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx

If you need to boot a linux distro for diagnostics try Fatdog 64. It is Secureboot and UEFI bootable.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

If you cannot boot with a CD, use rufus to create a bootable USB.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

#7 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

I don't want to try to do the bait and switch with the different boot modes until I know. I have read in 2 places that reverting back to UEFI mode will give me a Operating System Not Found error.

I swear I am about to just to manifest a copy of Windows 7 and revert back.

Most articles online about UEFI and linux is for installing Linux alongside Windows 8. I haven't really found anything good on booting from a Live CD.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

I know what you mean about Windows 8. I can't stand it myself.

Try rufus to boot from a USB, It will let you create a bootable USB with UEFI compatibility.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

If I was not wrong the button that you need to press is Esc then F9.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hitting f9 and trying to boot from CD I am getting an error.  

EDIT:  I might as well call this topic closed.  I am just going to buy a copy of Win7 and dump Win8.  Solves my problem and actually solves a bigger problem of hating Win8. 

Edited by digitalmatter, 20 March 2014 - 10:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users