Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD problem- auto repair loop, inaccessible as a slave drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 euphoniumsong

euphoniumsong

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I hope this is the right forum for this!  I would like to start with troubleshooting the slave drive issues but will give the full background for context.  I may go back to addressing the auto repair loop at some point but for now am working with the HD (SATA) in an enclosure connected to my husband's windows 7 computer.  My goal is data recovery so I can reformat the drive.

I have a Sony Viao Fit 14, windows 8.  About a month ago it got stuck in an automatic repair loop and I was unable to get into safe mode boot up in any way.  There was an option for automatic recovery, which I did.  I did get a surprising amount but since some pictures are missing and those are important to my husband I have been willing to wait on reformatting to try to get everything.  There are some things missing that I'd still like too.  All the diagnostics that can be run from the advanced options menu came up with nil.  The PC could not be refreshed.

It took me a month (mostly because life is busy, I was not able to dedicate much time to it) to find out how to take the blasted machine apart.  I ordered the SATA enclosure/cable and got the HD out and into it.  When I connected it to my husband's computer there was an error message: E:\ is not accessible.  Access is denied.

So far I have tried:

-changing the letter assignment in device manager to W- which has NEVER been used for this laptop!

-changing how it boots up so that it needs to be "stopped" before I unplug it.

-restarting the computer as required to change that previous setting

-trying every USB port on the computer

-emailing the company that made the HD enclosure- I have yet to hear back from them

I was given some suggestions for things to do once I put the HD back into its own computer but at this point I am interested in what else I can try with the HD in its enclosure.  Any more settings I can tweak?  I couldn't find much beyond playing with the device manager when I Googled "is not accessible.  Access is denied."

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hang in there are smart guys up that will chime in!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Before expending any time on anything, at this point...I would run a hard drive diagnostic in order to assure myself that the drive is functionally sound.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Question: was their any encryption software installed on that hard drive?

The first thing I would try would be: instead of using windows, boot to burned dvd/flash drive of a linux distro, something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If the drive sony is ok, linux should be able to see the drive and all of the content. Copy data from the (old sony) usb hard drive to the computer or a usb flash drive etc.

Linux generally does not care about permissions like windows does. Access denied can be caused by this or hardware level issues. If linux does not see the drive/data you may have a bigger problem: encryption of some type or hardware level problem.

Edited by zingo156, 21 March 2014 - 10:21 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 euphoniumsong

euphoniumsong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

I ran a hd check from my husband's laptop and it did not turn up any problems.

I will try the Linux boot next when I have a chance to reassemble my laptop. There is a stomach bug running through the house (why is it the kids get better so much faster than the adults?) so I may not be able to complete it today but it is a good day to read up on it and get the flash drive ready :-)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I heard back from the hd enclosure company- nothing helpful there but I can return it if it doesn't work out- even if is because my own drive is shot- so that is good.

#6 euphoniumsong

euphoniumsong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

When I booted from Ubuntu on my husband's computer all I could find was the same set of files that the auto recovery got me- everything mixed up in about 400 folders.  Well, what I figure to be about 80% of everything.  I was able to look through each partition of the hard drive though, so it is definitely not a problem with my connector.  There were about 5 partitions on the hard drive, and most of them didn't have much- various files that seem like system files.

Sigh.  Does this mean I am out of hope to get the rest of the photos and documents?  Would I be likely to get a different result with the hard drive back in the Vaio and using the ubuntu dvd in that?

Whatever is wrong with my HD is really really wrong :-/  Will a total reformat even fix it at this point? 

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

If you really want the data, I would recommend taking the hard drive to a pc repair shop that has the ability to recover data from damaged. corrupted, or formatted hard drives. If you can not see the files from linux, they are likely erased (but maybe not gone). I strongly recommend NOT writing any data to the hard drive if you would like data recovered. When something is deleted it is marked as free space but possibly not erased completely until something else is written over it unless the drive is formatted and zero'd (likely this has not been done). If the data is important enough, there are some decent recovery software available to try and recover data. I have used Get Data Back, Recuva, Test Disk, etc. Usually I recommend cloning the drive in question and recovering from the clone. You can run some of the recovery software from windows with the drive hooked up to the computer through usb. Even if a drive says it needs to be formatted to use, you may be able to recover data from it. As long as you can see the drive in Disk Management you should be able to run some software to attempt to recover data.

Data recovery can be expensive so call and get quotes if you take it somewhere and then decide if you think it is worth doing. If you chose not to recover data you can format the drive and try to use it. Before doing this I would run one of the extensive hard drive diagnostic tests mentioned above by hamluis. If the drive passes a seatools deep scan, I would say the drive is probably ok to use. If you do not test the drive, I probably would not trust it for anything important data storage wise.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users