Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP with an HP computer that may just be ready for the trash can

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 highfrequencyventila

highfrequencyventila

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hi. I got an HP computer running microsoft windows 7 and I really am at my last point here where I'm fixing to give up and just forget about computers. This hunk of garbage is messed up  so bad that I have NO idea what's wrong with it. It gets stuff saying there's like thousands of registry errors. Ever program I try to load takes several seconds to load.  It is so slow. I don't know what to do. I would fix these errors IF THERE WAS A BLOODY WAY TO FIX THESE FREE. All the programs I have used will SCAn for free, but I have to purchase stuff to FIX them. What good are the programs then? I can't pay, and definitely can't pay to get thing to a place where it can get fixed much less to get a new computer. This computerhas been scanned with AVG virus scanner. While there are errors there is no viruses from what the AVG says. So I don't know. I know its going to keep getting slower and slower and slower and slower. I can hardly watch youtube videos because It is so slow. time between click and response is as bad as 3-4 seconds at times. Can't afford to get a new hard drive, can't affort to get a windows install disk. I don't know how to use something to actually tell me what errors are where so I can delete the points where there are errors. I went into msconfig and turned off everything I could, and it was a little bit faster. On idle, my computer's CPU usage fluctuates at 0% to as high as 5-20% and this is with  task mannager open and all other programs closed. I've deleted so much stuff and my computer's space is really good. So now, I'm at the end I think. I am expecting this thing to crash anytime now. I have this problem with messages popping up at first startup saying No AMD graphics driver is installed or not installed propperly. I don't know. The AMD garbage just started. I get these things from amazon and these  popups say that my search browser settings were change from amazon and I'm using google chrome. I DOUBT ANYBODY CAN, BUT CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME? PLEASE?? I AM SORRY, I CAN'T PAY YOU, BUT I NEED HELP. MY PARENTS WON'T LET ME GET ANY REPAIR FOR THIS THING. So I can't pay. Can't do a single thing. anyone? It looks like I'm out of computers for a while. Until I can get my own house. I depend on this computer. Flash player is slow and jerky. I need adobe flash player to do a LOT of the stuff I do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

What is the model of the HP and did it come installed with Windows 7?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Can't afford to get a new hard drive, can't affort to get a windows install disk.

I DOUBT ANYBODY CAN, BUT CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME? PLEASE?? I AM SORRY, I CAN'T PAY YOU, BUT I NEED HELP. MY PARENTS WON'T LET ME GET ANY REPAIR FOR THIS THING. So I can't pay.

If Windows 7 was originally installed on the computer, you won't need any disks to reinstall Windows 7 if that is something you wish to do.

Computers have a built in recovery partition, which takes the place of install disks.

IF you have not deleted the recovery partition you can use it to do a clean install of Windows.

Go to your Start Menu/All Programs. Look for a folder called Security and Protection. If there, open the folder.

If you see HP Recovery Manager, click and open it.

Once it opens you can choose your recovery option, which will be System Recovery, restore your computer to it's original factory condition. Another screen will open, once again choose System Recovery.

This will wipe out everything on your hard drive. If you have files, folders, favorites and email in an email client you don't want to lose those will have to be backed up and saved before starting the recovery process.

IF you do not see the options listed above in your Start Menu, follow the directions here for reinstalling Windows. Scroll down to the section titled Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en (this article also contains directions/screenshots of using the Start Menu method)

You will NOT need your Windows 7 serial key when using the Recovery Manager.

All drivers will be installed so you won't have to find them later.

All the bloatware that was originally on the system will also be installed. You can safely uninstall what you don't want taking up space on your computer. Example, you can uninstall the Norton trial that is included and such things as Evernote, HP Games if you don't play the games, the older versions of Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, HP Simple Pass, HP Quick Launch, and others.

As for paying us for helping you, we don't charge anyone for our help. Bleeping Computer provides FREE help to all who need it.

edit to add: Under Security and Protection is a feature which will allow you to create a set of recovery disks. If this is something you want to do, I suggest at some point you choose this option and pretend to go through the first stage of the process. This will tell you how many DVD disks you will need. If you don't have any blank disks cancel the creation. And have a marker handy so you can label the disks HP Recovery 1, 2, etc.

YOU MENTION GETTING TONS OF STUFF SAYING THERE ARE REGISTRY ERRORS. It's possible that you system could be infected, and using some of the programs available may have made the problem worse. There are rogue programs that can infect you system.

If you want help with finding out whether it is infected you can post in Am I Infected? Only you can decide if it's worth time spent on helping you with that or if a reinstall is the best option for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 March 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#4 highfrequencyventila

highfrequencyventila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

I have no idea. All I know is its an HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC! When I go to computer properties that's what it says.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

The dv6 have had a lot of problems. Please follow Queen_Evie's advise and see if you can do a factory reset after backing up your important data.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Read my post above again if you haven't already done so. I edited it and added a couple of things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users