Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP news (and probably others)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm posting this under XP because that's what I have and I suspect why I got information last night about total internet security being offered free by ATT U-Verse through McAfee.    I had spoken with one of their reps who was still unaware of XP's upcoming demise and then  got this notice which certainly was not devised overnight.  This service will undoubtedly be offered by other companies.

This is  FWIW.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2014 - 11:37 AM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

No security software can protect you from poor choices.  While it may be possible to run Windows XP after Microsoft stops supporting it April 8, 2014, it is not recommended that the average user continue to use Windows XP.  April 8th will be the last time Microsoft releases updates for Windows XP.  We will not know the affect of Windows XP not being patched until much later.  A large part of the risk of continuing to run Windows XP is that the updates released by Microsoft to fix issues found in later versions of Microsoft Operating Systems (OS), Windows Vista, 7, and 8, may reveal problems with Windows XP that will not be fixed.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Although McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If you do a Google Search you will find there have been numerous complaints about it affecting system performance. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users