Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacBook Air Or Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sairam1204

sairam1204

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hello, 

i have some questions regarding Mac Os And Mac PC's.

its like i have an idea of studying computer science engineering.so i have a plan to buy a new laptop.

i have well knowledge of programming such as c++, java. but i have done everything in windows pc.

but im not satisfied with windows pc.so i have plan of buying mac.

my simple question is: can i do programming in mac: such as 1)c++, 2)java,3)other etc. 

and if yes which one is better model : mac book pro or mac book air. ? 

please let me know asap. 

thanking you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Mac book pro's the last time I checked generally had faster hardware than air's. Macbook air's and most extremely small laptops will have a harder time cooling so they typically run slower clock speeds, this may have changed with the new Haswell generation. You can program on a mac, I program java on mine occasionally and use eclipse as an IDE. Some IDE's may not be compatible with mac. I tend to use my desktop much more frequently running windows 7 or 8. I have not tried using any of the addons for eclipse on mac. I use libgdx, android sdk and other things in eclipse for windows. I have not tried using those on Mac OS.

Do some research and make sure the IDE you prefer to use is fully supported on Mac OS.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

I cannot help too much with the programming side of things.  I would expect for the most post thing will be very similar.  There are bound to be "Mac specific" and "Windows specific" sides to programming since they are different OSs using different "innards" and APIs, but most of the basic stuff should be the same.  I will note that if you still wanted to program specifically for Windows, you should be able to do that on a Mac using Windows in Bootcamp or maybe even running Windows in a VM using Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

As to which to pick, that will kind of depend on what you are after.

There is really not a ton of different between a rMBP and a MBA when you talk about 13" or smaller screen size. The primary difference between a 13" rMBP and a 13" MBA is the screen resolution (the rMBP will have the "retina" screen), the processor (the rMBP will have a more powerful processor, but not a huge amount), maximum RAM (the rMBP can be ordered with 16 GB, while the max of the MBA is 8 GB…note that you CANNOT upgrade the RAM yourself on either…what you get when you buy it is what you are stuck with), number/type of ports (the rMBP will have one more Thunderbolt port and an HDMI port beyond what the 13" MBA has), and the size/weight (this is the one "thing" that the MBA "wins"…it is lighter and thinner).

So, if you are looking at a 13" screen, then to me the decision comes down to how portable do you want it.

There is still "traditional" 13" MBP that Apple sells. The only real advantage this model has is that you can get more storage space for less money since it uses a "traditional" spinning, mechanical hard drive…and it still has an internal optical drive (as well as Firewire port and ethernet port).

The biggest reason to consider a 15" rMBP (beyond just having a bigger screen) is that it is only Mac laptop that offer "discrete" graphics. All the 13" or smaller screen Mac laptops use some form of integrated Intel graphics. So, if you want to do graphics intensive things, then you will need to get a 15" and it will have to be the $2600 model, unfortunately.

So, at the end of the day, it will really come down which things you "need"/want.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

The biggest reason to consider a 15" rMBP (beyond just having a bigger screen) is that it is only Mac laptop that offer "discrete" graphics. All the 13" or smaller screen Mac laptops use some form of integrated Intel graphics. So, if you want to do graphics intensive things, then you will need to get a 15" and it will have to be the $2600 model, unfortunately.

So, at the end of the day, it will really come down which things you "need"/want.

There are some models being discounted as much as 24% on Apple's refurbished store. I remember buying my early 08 MBP from there for $1500 when it was originally priced at $2500 new.

#5 sairam1204

sairam1204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

so for programming : Macbook pro is the best huh? okay even if i choose macbook pro : the graphics they use such as intel .. is it good. because im an ATI Fan . can i upgrade to ATI GRAPHICS. how much will it cost ? for macbook pro 16gb ram and 4gb graphics ?

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

so for programming : Macbook pro is the best huh? okay even if i choose macbook pro : the graphics they use such as intel .. is it good. because im an ATI Fan . can i upgrade to ATI GRAPHICS. how much will it cost ? for macbook pro 16gb ram and 4gb graphics ?

The only way to get a "discrete" graphics card (i.e. either ATI or nVidia) in a MBP is to do it when you buy the computer. A new MBP as well most recent models that you would get used or refurbished with only come with an nVidia card. From doing a quick Google search, it appears only the 2011 and 2006 MBP models offered ATI graphics. All other models offer Intel integrated and/or nVidia "discrete" graphics.

If you are looking for a MBP with a graphics card that supports 4 GB of VRAM, then you are out of luck. The current top of the line rMBP has a nVidia graphics system with 2 GB of VRAM. That is the best you are going to do. That will cost you $2600 US for a new one. That price gets you 16 GB of RAM, a 2.3 GHz i7 quad-core processor, and a 512 SSD. If you want a larger SSD or faster processor (the only things you can really upgrade…but only at time of purchase), then it will be more. I will note that Apple does offer a refurbished version with the same specs for $2200 (at least right now that is what they offer…their refurbished offerings change from time to time).

You can get certainly get older models either refurbished from Apple (your options will be limited…they only tend to have refurbished model from previous model or two) or used. If you go that route, the prices will vary. I will note that all older models with discrete graphics cards will have 1 GB of VRAM or less. The current Retina MBP is the first model to offer 2 GB of VRAM on the model with the nVidia discrete graphics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users