Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Server Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hi,

I am looking around to buy a server to replace my current home backup server.

my current setup is an IBM System x3200 as a file server with one 160GB HDD for the OS and one 1TB Disk for server data. I have a Dell Poweredge T110 as a backup server with the same disk configuration. Obliously if the data disk fails in either of these servers it wouldnt be so bad but if both were to fail then i would be screwed.

I have a HP ProLiant DL380 G5 as well but i only have 4x 72GB SAS disks which is not enough to backup the file server and 6 PCs and HP SAS disks are crazy expensive. I want a server that is capable of RAID 5 for the fault tollerence. 

I was looking at the DELL Poweredge 2950 III. i was planning to put 6X 1TB 7200RPM SATA disks in it and use that as a backup server. with DELL, server replacement parts are reasonably cheap in general and i can use standard 7200RPM SATA disks which are cheap as.

What do you think. Is this a good way to do it?

Any other recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Simon Lehmann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

What do you plan on doing with the server? Is it only a drive storage/backup situation? In that case I might recommend using something similar to a synology box (NAS) they are very power efficient little boxes and the speed is usually decent on raid 5 or above. There are so many options. You can pick up used rack mount servers for cheap these days. Older technology is not as power efficient and will likely produce more heat.

If you are only doing only backup/media type storage, you really do not need a powerhouse server with 8 cpu cores and 8gb of ram.

I installed one of these for a client recently: http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS412/dp/B007JLE84C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395232751&sr=8-3&keywords=synology

The speed was good, and the reliability has been excellent. Definitely shop around. I have also seen some mini hp servers for cheaper than synology boxes. Best of luck.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users