Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this particular Windows Server 2012 R2 setup work?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

I have the following proposed setup for me and a bunch of friends of mine.  We're all geeks and we're doing this for the sheer experience all of us will get by doing it.  My server here at my house is going to be a domain controller and it will replicate to several other domain controllers around the country; one in Canton, Mass, and the other in Dallas, Texas.  My questions are as follows.  If I change some of the default ports for replication on all domain controllers, then do I have to change all the ports?  And if I have to change the LDAP port, how is that going to affect two domain controllers at the same site to replicate amongst each other?  Or is the replication port different than the logon port?  (Logon uses DNS, but does it also use LDAP?)  Part of this whole thing, is that we're doing this for the sheer fun of it and the experience, so don't be surprised if you see more questions along the way.  Thanks for any feedback or answers you have. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Quick question: Is there a reason you want to use something other than the default port(s)? If you want addtional experience I would set up an ipsec tunnel to your remote locations. That will give you experience of setting up a VPN plus it is secure, and you don't have to worry about port forwarding. All in all it will simplfy your project.

Also, are you going to put just test machines on this domain or are you going to put your personal computer on it as well? I would be very careful putting my personal machines on a domain co-owned by someone else even if they are your best friends. Remember domain admin is GOD in that scenario.

Edit: Also, you could set up a trust between the domain controllers and have each friend run their own domain. That way it would be secure and you would get additional experience.

Edited by MysteryMac, 14 May 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

We ended up consolidating things into a single domain, and at the moment, the domain controllers are in Florida. I got overruled in terms of hosting things here at my house since I'm stuck on a Comcast residential connection, which doesn't do servers justice at all, so until further notice, nothing is hosted here except for development servers.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users