Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Desktop Startup Power Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SacredSpectra

SacredSpectra

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

When i turned on my desktop this morning (3/18/14) it was working fine. I come back 6 hrs later during the night time only to find out that the power button is a solid amber and won't turn green. I don't know why this is happening and I was to see if I can get some suggestions on how I can go about fixing this. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Sounds like a possible bad power supply. I assume the computer is off and will not turn on? Might be worth trying to unplug it from the wall and then plug it back in. Can you give us a make and model?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 SacredSpectra

SacredSpectra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Its a Dell Dimension C521 Desktop. I'm not sure if that is what you're asking. I looked around the computer but I don't see anything else where it specified the model. I looked up Dell Dimension C521 and it is indeed the computer I have that is having issues. It is Windows XP if that its needed. 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

That C521 is the model number. It is fairly common for a power supply to fail. On average I see power supplies last 2-5 years. I believe you have a failed power supply. You can try to unplug the computer from the wall and plug it back in and then try to power on. You can re-seat the ram and see if that works as well, see this video(though it is not the same computer the only difference will be getting your computer open to access the ram:

Any piece of hardware could cause the problem. If you have a different power supply from a different computer that is compatible (most should be if you have questions please post a reply with both part numbers from both power supplies) you could test that way.

Power supplies can usually be bought for ~$40-$50. Replacing them is not all that difficult but it does take a little know how. 

You can usually find a replacement power supply online quite easily. I recommend using the part number from the PSU that is currently installed to find an identical replacement.

Here is a video on how to replace the power supply:

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 SacredSpectra

SacredSpectra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

I have tried unplugging it from the wall and plugging it back it back in to the wall socket. When I do this however, the computer turns itself on and the power button once again stays at an amber color. I have to force a shut down when this happens. I am not confident with taking apart my computer, but I can try with the videos you have attached. Should I bring it in to a tech store to have it replaced as I am not confident with my hands? But, do you know where I can order another supply? 

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Does the computer turn itself on for a second and then stay off when you push the power button?

If you do not feel confident taking the computer apart, it would be a good idea to take it in to have it serviced. It is tough to say for certain any 1 component is causing the problem. Re-seating the ram may solve the issue and is not hard to do. You can certainly follow the video and give it a try if you feel up to it.

If you bring it in, the tech store will be able to tell you exactly what the cause is without you having to buy spare parts. It is possible the psu is the problem, but it could be any other component as well. Tech shops have many spare parts so they can rule them out quickly.

#7 SacredSpectra

SacredSpectra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

It turns on itself and stays on until I push the power button. 

I will probably give the videos a try (at least the ram one as it looks easier to do) thanks. 

If I were to bring it in and have the tech people have a look at it, would I be charged? I'm asking because I never had to think about bringing in my computer as I never had an issue until now :/

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Usually there is a fee for them spending time to look at the machine. Diagnosis takes time. You can call and ask what their rates/prices are.

When you have the computer case open when re-seating the ram, I recommend you to look for any bulging or blown capacitors on the motherboard. There are pictures of these below. If you have any bugling or blown capacitors consider replacing the machine rather than repairing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fAgrU7-tMeSa2AXG7IFQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=750&bih=422

#9 SacredSpectra

SacredSpectra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Oh okay great thanks! I haven't had a chance to open the computer yet cause of work (I am replying on my spare computer) but I will be able to do it during the weekend, Ill keep you updated. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users