Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

advice needed for hp xw series opteron/xeon for pro multimedia use

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

good evening to all,

i am thinking to buy an hp workstaion (xw series) either with 2 x quad xeon or opteron for professional multimedia job like multitrack audio recording and editing, video editing and rendering (hd and non hd video) and bryce 3d

i have found through ebay some refurbished hp xw series workstations like xw6600 (2 x xeon quad 1.6 ghz series 5130) and xw9300 (2 x quad opteron 2.2 ghz series 2345) but i do not know what is best for me

a fully refurbished workstation with either 2 x quad opteron or 2 x quad xeon, with 8 or 16 gb of ddr2 ram plus 500 gb hd and quaddro fx video card and an dvdrw will cost me no more than euros 270 

unfortunately xeon series 5130 at 1.6 ghz is not hyper threading as i wanted to have a total of 16 cores, also i do not know if xeon series 5130 is x64 bit cpu

my next best option is the xw9300 with 2 x quad opteron at 2.20 ghz

os windows xp x86 or x64 bits (can be ordered at extra cost with the workstation)

programs i use 

adobe audition 2 

various vst plugins 

sony acid pro 6

sony vegas pro 8

daz bryce 3d 5.5

gimp 2.6

windows x64 bit is not needed right now

i am not considering for an amd fx or intel's i3 or i5 but only on any ot the above mentioned workstations

if these hp workstations are not good i will keep my little trusty intel g530 that i have for two years now

i am thanking you very much in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Not sure how good these systems are compared to everything else on the market, but for that price they seem very good.  The workstation with the Xeon 5130's will suit you much better for multitrack recording and other programs of that nature.  They are indeed 64 bit processors.  As for hyperthreading, keep in mind that dual xeons will have 4 physical cores, whereas each opterons only has one physical core, which can be split into 2 hyperthreaded cores.  With these setups you are not going to get anywhere close to 16 cores :( .

As a note, you will require a 64 bit operating system to use 8 or 16 GB of RAM.

You can see full specs for that processor by clicking HERE.

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

good afternoon dear ihavanswer and many thanks for your kind reply and for the link for xeons spcs

i think xeon xw6400 is a good choice for intensive audio/video pro jobs

the price is good too for 270 euros plus shipping 

the only negative here is the quad xeon that is running at 1.6 ghz

i think a better choice is a dual core xeon with a higher clock speed like the xeon 5160 at 3.0 ghz, although is not a hyperthreading cpu

another option for me is to keep my asus s1155 p8h61m-le with one of the newer xeon 1230v2

this will cost me around 245 euros

i really don't know what i have to buy

#4 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

I think the 5130 will be fine, however if you could find the same computer with the 5160's installed that would be better of course, but you could also upgrade to them somewhere down the line.

As for your current motherboard, it is only compatible with desktop processors, NOT server/workstation processors.  Even if it is meant for the same socket, the motherboard only supports i3 i5 or i7, nothing from the xeon series.

#5 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

good afternoon dear ihavanswer and many thanks for your kind reply

i have just checked that the  xeon 1230v2 is supported by by my motherboard but it is not clear what xeon's features i will lost

another good option for me is the dell precision t5500 fitted with two xeon quad with hyper threading l5520 @ 2.26 ghz  !

this will give me a total of 16 cores but i really do not know if windows xp pro sp3 x86 can see all those cores

the dell t5500 will cost me around 520 euros excluding shipping cost so i have to  to check if my budget allowed this amount

thanks

#6 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

that t5500 would be very good, and windows XP does support any amount of cores as long as it is only 2 physical processors.

I recommend an x64 operating system otherwise you can only use 4GB of RAM with an x86 OS.

#7 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

good evening dear ihavanswer and many thanks for your kind answer

it seems that the dell t5500 is quite powerful machine so i have to start saving money to buy it as soon as possible

i am thinking to go for windows x64 bit but all my software is x86 and i will need over 1500 euros to buy those new programs

thanks

Edited by nickko, 23 March 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#8 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

i would like to inform you that all* x86 software can run on a 64 bit OS

*if the software uses a 16 bit installer, it might not work, however it could work in a virtual machine.

#9 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

good afternoon dear ihavanswer and many thanks again for all your valuable details

some time ago i have installed windows x64 and only adobe audition was not running even with the x32 compatibility settings

any way, i am stil happy with windows xp pro sp3 x86 

i have all ready decided for the dell t5500 workstation and i start saving money

thanks dear ihavanswer

Edited by nickko, 23 March 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#10 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

ok great, just remember that you wont be able to use more than 4 gigs of ram and you will be good

#11 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

hi again dear  ihavanswer and i really thank you very much for your kind reply

yes, i know that windows x86 can see less than 4 gb ram

my asus p8h61m-le can see only 2.76 from a 4 gb of ram including video and my other amd pc that have an asrock a55m-hvs can see a little higher 3.80 gb of ram including shared video ram

i think that amd can handle a little bit better the ram than intel

thanks dear  ihavanswer and i think you can close this thread as i have in my hands all the necessary infos

thanks again

#12 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

okay great your welcome

I cant close the thread im not a mod but just leave it alone and someone will close it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users