Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome OS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xrayladyah

xrayladyah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I am looking for a replacement for Windows XP. I really only use the internet, not the Windows business programs. If I use Chrome, can I take Windows XP off my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer

I think you would have a better experience using a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. Chrome OS is not the easiest to install on a computer. You could take off XP if all you do is internet browsing but you may have a printer or device that Ubuntu or Mint does not support. You could install linux alongside XP and have a dual boot system where you could pick what OS you want at startup.

#3 xrayladyah

xrayladyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

thanks.

how do I find out if my Canon printer would work with Ubuntu or Mint?

I'm really only concerned about this security update thing that is effective in April....does Ubuntu have it's own security?

#4 xrayladyah

xrayladyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Oh yeah, I just downloaded Chrome online, isn't that it?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Is this Chrome OS or Chrome the browser? I know for a fact you would have a very hard time getting the printer to work on Chrome OS if at all. Can you provide the web page link that you used to download Chrome. Fortunately Canon is pretty good at providing drivers for Linux. This is why it may be a good idea to run XP alongside Linux so you could print things if required. What is the model number of the Canon?

Edit: I will be off for a little bit.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#6 xrayladyah

xrayladyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Yep, guess it was just the browser....

Printer is Canon Pixma MP470

If I run XP alongside Linux, won't I still have the security problem? which is what I'm trying to avoid.??

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

I think the security problem is a little bit overblown but it is something to think about. If you disable your internet connection on XP and do not download shady software, you should have nothing to worry about.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Your printer unfortunately does not have drivers directly from Canon but the Ubuntu forums show that the printer will work. Installing the drivers though may not be for the novice. There is a lot of support for Ubuntu and that is one of it's main advantages.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#9 xrayladyah

xrayladyah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thanks, I've been researching this issue for days....

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Have a look and a read here :

http://www.kubuntu.org/

I have this on my XP computer.....simply downloaded it like a normal program and tried it out. The terms used are different......eg they call the music player "Amarok"....but it works beautifully.    The email client is called "KMail"....seems to work quite nicely too.

Give it a go....nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you don't like it.....right click and delete.

or....

http://zorin-os.com/index.html

this actually looks quite impressive

.....and while we are at it......the question of needing an antivirus or not is usually raised.....this answer from NickAu1 in THIS topic...." As a general rule no you do not need antivirus on Linux.   Most of that stuff is made for windows and can't run in linux."  Nicks operating system is shown as " Operating System- Linux Australis Mate 1.6(Sd Card Boot), and Puppy Linux 5.7.1 precise(USB Boot).  PC SPECS- Hp Pavilion G6, AMD A4-3305M With Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz.

He obviously has some experience in this area.

Edited by Condobloke, 18 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

I am looking for a replacement for Windows XP. I really only use the internet, not the Windows business programs. If I use Chrome, can I take Windows XP off my computer?

Hi -

This is a widely mistaken idea that exists.

You have a Microsoft Installed Operating System, and Google Chrome is just an Add-on Browser.

The links from Condobloke to the Linux based systems, are to a System that will run like a Microsoft System.

With a few add ons this can be a reasonable replacement for your XP Operating System

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users