Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Paragon 7-64 bit that different than XP was? It doesn't seem the same.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

I had excellent luck using Paragon B&R 2011 on my XP machine. It worked great and I could either pick and choose the files to restore..or restore the entire drive image.

But when I installed Paragon W7-64 on my new notebook, it doesn't seem the same at all. I got the image made (to a portable HD) but I see nowhere to create a boot CD like I used to get my full XP image restored when I replaced my old XP machine's Hard Drive.

I must be missing something. I don't see how to do it if I needed to restore the image onto a new HD.

Is there an easier free B&R program out there.

Thanks

I was going to use the Win 7 backup but it wouldn't do it because my portable HD was formatted to a different type, Fat 32.

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2014 - 05:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

I looked around for a couple others to try. Seems that they all had issues, so I guess I'll go through the Manual and see what I'm doing wrong with the win7 64 version. The XP 32 version seemed so much easier.

I'm just imagining trying to load a backed up image to a new hard drive and don't see how it could be done. It was so easy when the older version of Paragon allowed you to create a boot cd and work from there to do the restore.

Could it be that I would be able to restore the image from my portable HD by having it boot to it first? (no boot cd required?)

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

I am using Paragon Backup 2013.  In this, to make a boot CD you just choose Recovery Media Builder from the Tools menu.

s5kCnuR.png

OTWcFnB.png

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

jonuk, Thanks for that info. In reading the comments about B&R 2014 it seemed that the 2013 version might have been better...but I couldn't find that version, so I went with the 2014 version...which has no Tools tab!!! It might be hidden in there somewhere (I haven't read the entire manual yet) but could you let me know the 'names' of the steps you used under the Tools tab? I might be able to find them in my W7-64 version of 2014. Or possibly the file name of the 2013 version (if it was 64 bit) so I could search for it. Thanks.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I haven't tried 2014 version.  In the 2013 version it is quite simply in the Tools menu.  From the main screen, click Tools, then click Recovery Media Builder, then follow the process through to either create a recovery .iso file, burn a CD, or create a recovery USB stick.

BTW I don't use Express Mode, I use the "Advanced Interface" which is what is shown in the screenshots above.  However I checked out Express Mode, as this is the default when you first load the program, and again, it is in the Tools menu in this version and you click "Burn Recovery Media" to launch the media builder.

OBmBuhx.png

The 2013 can be downloaded from a few places still (Google "Paragon Backup and Recovery 2013 download") and you should find somewhere.

Edited by jonuk76, 19 March 2014 - 03:27 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

It looks like Paragon 2014 requires you to do a separate download to get the Recovery Media Building utilities (Burn Recovery Media).

What a pain. After reading the manual I find you need to create an account with them prior to attempting the download.

I'm thinking it would be easier to find the 2013 version which seems to include everything. Not sure if the 2013 version can do 64 bit either.

So far every link to Download the 2013 version takes you to the 2014 version.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Annoying that the sites are taking you to the 2014 version now.  You do have to register the 2013 version in order to install it, but it's nothing to be concerned about. They just e-mail an activation code.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Finally found the 2013 version. Got it installed and opened it. I found where the CD is created under Tools.

What a relief. I really didn't like that 2014 version and didn't want to learn another brand.

Thanks for all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users