Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router connection.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hi everyone, long time since I posted. I have an interesting query.
Some 4 years ago I built and set up a windows 7 system and installed an Edimax router instead of the broadband services own router.No problem.
Today I had to change the router due to its malfunction and replaced it with an Edimax,exactley the same as the one which had died (so to speak).
The broadband is run on a dedicated telephone line which does not carry any telephone equipment.The server is Talk Talk.
To my suprise and somewhat amazement, the router immediately connected the computer to the internet allowing full access.I also hardwired my laptop into the router and immediately it allowed the laptop to go on line.
My question to the forum is why wasn't I required to configure the replacement router to the server (Talk Talk).Basically I plugged and it played.......Works fine and does as it is expected.

Regards.

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Is this a router or a modem?  Most routers by default will request an IP address and use what is provided.

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

HI,
it is an Edimax Wire/Wireless ADSL2+Router.Same as the one previously installed.

Tony.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

Most routers sold for the UK market are pre-configured with the default UK access settings, so it is literally a case of plug in and play - zero configuration broadband access for computers connected to the router via ethernet cable.  Wireless access would obviously need to be re-configured for the new SSID and security key of the router.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dls62, 18 March 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Thank you, comfirms my own notions over the issue....

Regards.

Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users