Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a copy of windows 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi everyone

I'm not the most tech savvy type. I have a 10 year old seanix pc with 32 bit XP on it which I want to upgrade to windows 7. I also have a couple of laptops running windows 7. This is a dumb question, but can I use the back up that I put on an external hard drive off of my laptop when I purchased it, and load that onto the seanix - would that in effect be a complete OS for windows 7 - or am I just dreaming??

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2014 - 03:34 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

That will not work, sorry. You would have to buy a new Windows 7 disk or license. I doubt Windows 7 would run smoothly on a 10 year old PC. You can download the upgrade advisor to see if the computer can run Win 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

No, you cannot.

Every laptop is an OEM system, one where the license for Windows is restricted solely to that system and cannot be transferred   Another complicating factor would be the fact that the two systems have different drives/settings installed...they would not transfer smoothly.

Before you even consider an older system for Win 7...you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor .

Louis

#4 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for that information, I have run the upgrade advisor, it appears that I will be able to run windows 7 - I'll let you all know how I make out.

#5 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

I notice a poster here is recommending trying the Linux (Ubuntu) os for a replacement for XP. I am wondering if there are many contributors out there who have experience using this, and if an anti virus needs to be run with it?

Edited by davey crockett, 18 March 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

anti virus needs to be run with it?

Whats a virus???

As a general rule no you do not need antivirus on Linux.   Most of that stuff is made for windows and can't run in linux.

Edited by NickAu1, 18 March 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

We have a forum where any questions about linux may be addressed, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/ .

Louis

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

10 year old hardware is just too old to be upgraded. Windows 7 will run very slow.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

anti virus needs to be run with it?

Whats a virus???

As a general rule no you do not need antivirus on Linux.   Most of that stuff is made for windows and can't run in linux.

Would like to clarify a bit, while it is generally accepted that few malware/viruses are designed for linux, malware/viruses do exist for linux. As long as you use the internet safely and responsibly though most do not have an issue nor do they get infected. It is rare, but it happens. Though as linux grows in popularity I would be surprised if we don't see new forms of malware that supports linux as well. This is the same story as Max OS X, for years many were under the assumption that OS X was sacred and couldn't be infected, that was until a few years ago when a large percentage of people were infected on OS X. 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

You could try ubuntu linux,quite a nice system or Lubuntu which looks and feels a lot like windows desktop and is low on resources.

Lubuntu runs great on my ten year old laptop.

#11 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

If you just surf the web, play games, check your email etc. Linux will be fine. I do most of my surfing on Linux Mint. I have Windows 8.1 for photoshop, HGTV Home Design ( just for fun) and other programs that linux doesn't support. Linux isn't as demanding as Windows for resources to run properly so I'm surprised it hasn't won a deeper share of the market.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Those of you who want to continue your thoughts about the merits/demerits of linux...the linux forums await.

As for the OP...I think he has lost interest in your thoughts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users