Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer keeps booting into Windows 7 temporary profile

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 nyseman

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

For some time now, my laptop stopped giving me notifications/pop-ups when the battery is low and to plug into a power source--that seemed like a virus to me.  Then, a few days ago, while working on battery, it died and when I tried to restart, it booted into a temporary profile and keeps booting into a temporary profile.  All of my data on the HD seems intact. I've done the following in an attempt to fix the problem:

--  I renamed the temporary files (the .bak and current files) in the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

This did not work--when I rebooted, it merely created another .bak file and booted me again into a temporary profile

--  I then did error-checking on the local disk and checked both options: Automatically fix the file system errors and Scan for/attempt recovery of bad sectors

This did not work either.  I did not do anything further like try and create a new user profile and copy all of my data over.  Please advise what I might be able to do to rectify this problem. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

a few days ago, while working on battery, it died and when I tried to restart, it booted into a temporary profile and keeps booting into a temporary profile.

Hello -

This can cause the problem you mention and several others.

It can "almost" be like working in Safe Mode and being able to get out of there.

I am not 100% sure of the correct way to start handling this, so I would ask you to post to the Experts area.

This is usually not regarded as an infection, but more of a Glitch in the operations.

Please follow the directions below for more Expert help.

Please, Fully read and follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step #6.

If you are unable to complete any step, still post the topic and leave a full description of your problems.

When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to  Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT Here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Please Use Copy / Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

If HelpBot responds to your topic, please follow his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

Then we can be sure that only the Experts offer the best help.

#3 nyseman

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

Thank you very much for your response.  I will do as you've indicated and wait for a response. 

#4 Platypus

• 13,324 posts
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

Continued here:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users