Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Wired Mouse locks up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dennisjj1738

dennisjj1738

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

I have an old ibm usb wired mouse that I am using it on a Windows 7 x64 computer. (The mouse was originally used on a Windows xp machine.) The mouse is working fine, until I turn off the computer. Upon reboot, sporadically, the mouse will be frozen when the machine boots up. Most times, if disconnect and reconnect from the usb port, the mouse will work ok. However, I am running out of usb ports, because after a number of such on-and-off cycles,the mouse will not reconnect in that port. Is there any way of fixing this, short of buying a new mouse? I would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

I have had this happen a few times in say the last five years. I have normally found that shutting down and re-starting frees up the mouse.

There are another couple of possibilities here. One you say the mouse you are using is perhaps in its late middle age. It could be suffering a sporadic fault. Have you tried another mouse ?  You could always just borrow one for a day or two !  If that one works without problems, then it is time for a new mouse. USB wired mice are not expensive and they are like keyboards - expendable items.

The other possibility is a faulty USB socket. Try your mouse in a different socket, and plug some known good item - scanner, printer, whatever - into the socket you normally use for your mouse and see if this known good item suddenly starts failing randomly.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Is there any way of fixing this, short of buying a new mouse?

As long as there is nothing wrong with your USB ports. First try and do what Chris said and .... Oh bugger it just buy a new 1. Is 8 bucks too much for a new mouse?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4GHz-6D-3200-DPI-Wireless-LED-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-For-Laptop-PC-Mac-/181330788103?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item2a38283f07

Edited by NickAu1, 18 March 2014 - 09:26 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users