Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optiplex 7010 - Quad screens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hello again.  I'm back with yet another question.

One of my fellow employees got the OK to update his current Dell OptiPlex 7010 (Full sized)  to support 4 simultaneous monitors. 

I'm quite sure he's going to need a stand alone video card to achieve this as his current set up is only capable of handling dual screens.

Are there any recommendations? 

I've tinkered with Software video adapters and simply put, they're rubbish.  I've tried about 4 various brands in the past and ALL were problematic.  So I'm sticking with a video card for this set up. 

Preferably I'd like to make use of the VGA/DVI inputs to minimize the need for adapters and additional accessories.

He's running Win7 64 Bit with 6GB of Ram (which I figure will need to be upped), and a Core I5 processor.

Any help, guidance, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Again, this is a simple office set up, so it doesn't need to be able to run the latest version of FarCry on the highest settings. Just simple MS and Quickbook style programs.

Edited by theonlybuster, 18 March 2014 - 10:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

I've never run four monitors, three is what most people use.  I don't see this being a simple process, mainly due to using a manufactured machine.  Most machines with on board video will disable that video if another card is added.  A video card that supports four monitors may require more power than the power supply can deliver.

You might want to check with Dell to see if they have a solution.

#3 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

As to the i5 integrated video, yes it will handle 2 monitors nicely. The sticky point might be getting the motherboard to allow both a video card and the integrated video to work together.

The VHDCI cards like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709&IsNodeId=1&Description=vhdci&name=Desktop%20Graphics%20Cards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

are well reviewed and seem to be be widely available and at or around these prices. Please note the VisionTek comes in either VGA or DVI but not both. This would be my preferred solution. BTW the video performance with this would be better. You could hold off on the extra RAM until you see the difference. I would not expect it to be needed.

Just for giggles, Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-Express-Graphics-900345/dp/B004JU260O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1395160901&sr=1-1

Good luck.

#4 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thanks gents. 

I brought this up to Dell, they actually gave me the same piece of advice.  Same brand and all.  We actually have another computer with the a similar set up.  Only problem is that the screens could only be aligned horizontally.  I couldn't stack or do anything aside from horizontally sorting the screens.  Even after drivers and so on were installed and re-installed. 

I'll scower the net to see if there's a higher quality version, it hopefully will render better results. 

Again, thanks gents.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

You might need a third party application like Ultramon to set up the monitors in a cube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users