Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving PC (custom build) from Europe to US

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrPeebles

MrPeebles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

I have been living in Sweden for the past few years and will be moving back home to the US soon. I have a PC that I built about a year ago, and I'm trying to get it from here to there as cheaply and safely as possible. I'm looking for any help I can get in terms of tips and ideas on how to do this.

Without going into the specifics of the build, the components I have are: Case, power supply, motherboard, graphics card, four sticks of RAM, two HDDs, DVD-RW drive, monitor, keyboard & mouse.

I'm thinking I'll disassemble the computer and move everything by a combination of shipping and packing things for the flight. Seeing as the case is quite large, I will probably buy a new one back home. 

Some immediate questions I have are:
  • Given the voltage difference between the two countries, will I have to replace the power supply and/or monitor? (I can dig up the model if needed)
  • Am I just asking for trouble if I opt to ship via the local postal service over UPS or FedEx? Shipping via UPS would be far more expensive. If I put all the components in anti-static bags, wrap them in bubble wrap, and do my best to package everything carefully, could this theoretically work? 
  • If I can bring the power supply, is it safe to pack in a checked suitcase? What should I avoid bringing in a carry-on bag? (I'm guessing computer parts will raise eyebrows at security).
Thanks in advance for any help on this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

As far as the PSU most have a power switch on back to lower or up the voltage, the monitor is another story sell it and buy new they are cheap here.  Try to get anti static bags and some bubble wrap, I have shipped to AU with no problems.  Not sure about EU customs but I have brought many items in carry on the Costa Rica, they do unwrap and look over but let it all go through.  As for shipping I use FedX have never had a problem and it is far cheaper than the PO.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I agree that the PSU should work fine, but you may well need to change the plug in cord,(not that this is expensive).

As to the differences in shipping costs, I am sure the loacl post office can help with estimating, especially if you come equipped with either the intended shipping container or its dimensions including weight. Most shipping is done on a basis of both gross weight and cubic volume. I have found the PO to be quite reliable if slower than the private shippers. As for both FedEx and UPS, I have had the usual range of experiences, from trulty bad to very fast correct and cost effective. I would check with the local government official( MP? in Sweden) as to export costs, fees and/or taxes. you might well check with your own embassy or consulate for the same info as to importing things home. If you choose to use outfits like UPS or FedEx, check with them as to extra fees or charges for things like bonded warehouses. Prewarned in this is definitely a good thing.

As tio putting things in your luggage, again check with the local government for export rules and the local emabassy for import rules. The local airport undoubtedly has something as regards things that are NOt allowed to be put in your luggage, whether carry on or checked. This has saved me much embarrassment and expense. All travellers should do this well before going to the airport.

#4 MrPeebles

MrPeebles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thanks a lot to both of you for the help! I'm going to check with the airline about their policies and the shipping companies here and then I will weigh my options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users