Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen after windows 7 update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 plawrie

plawrie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

A customer asked me to upgrade three PCs from XP to win7. I purchased three windows 7 pro licenses.

The machines are Asus P4 3Ghz with 1 or 2 Gb RAM, 160Gb hard drives and PCI-E Radeon X550 SE DVI/VGA 256Mb graphics cards.

The first one has 2Gb RAM, installed without a problem and is running well.

I've installed win7 three times on the second one which has 1Gb RAM and each time hit the same black screen issue.

Win7 installs correctly. The first time, I installed Office 2007, printers and other applications, checked all was well and left it for the users. I did not apply any windows updates as I expected them to run automatically. (Same with the first machine which did not have a problem)

They rang the next day to say they had a black screen on the second PC.

When I looked at it I found it would switch on, but after the BIOS - nothing, no disk activity. The caps lock led would go on and off with the key, but Ctrl-Alt-Del immediately restarted the machine. F8 had no effect. BIOS access is fine.

I ran memtest and a disk test but found no problems.

I restarted with the win7 disk startup repair and tried going back to checkpoints. It was clear from the checkpoints that windows updates had happened overnight.

However, despite going back to each checkpoint up to the first one, prior to any updates, I was still unable to start windows. The restores gave me 0x8000fff failures and the message "a patch is preventing the system from starting - system restore error 0x490"

Next I replaced the radeon card with another and tried again, reinstalled win7 from scratch

Two windows updates came through and I applied them and restarted - back to the black screen and no way out.

Using the command shell from windows recovery, I ran chkdsk /r /f but found no problems - same black screen on normal restart

In the command shell again, having googled some possible issues, I renamed SoftwareDistribution as SDOLD

There was no windows\winsxs\pending.xml

I also checked the registry in HKLM\Components - the suggested keys AdvancedInstallerNeedsResolving and PendingXMLIdentification were not present.

Then I reverted back to the original Radeon card (no problems at all with it during installation)

Installed win7 for a third time, without any other software, anti-virus, printers etc - just the basic installation and internet access through the company router. Then installed the two patches I was presented with - windows update agent 7.6.7600.256 and security update for windows 8 KB2621440 - Restarted and booted windows correctly

So far, so good. I then went to windows update on the control panel and found 108 updates due, I selected and downloaded them all.

At the end of the updates, I looked through the list and found them all either 'successful' or 'pending'

Restart - BLACK SCREEN AGAIN!!!

One thing I did notice was that despite clearing all partitions from the HD, the windows installer created two partitions.

When I used windows system recovery from the dvd, windows was on the second D: drive, not the first.

I used diskpart to select the second partition and set it active. However, this made no difference on restart.

At this point I have not touched the third machine which still has a working copy of XP on it. I don't want to until the second machine is working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Being as you cannot access windows you will need to do a full format, you have damaged files or registry items.  This happens at times when upgrading from XP or lower to 7, not sure of the cause it could be the lack of ram on that machine.  I have had problems on a few with only 1 gig!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

what are the specs of that machine? and what version of 7(64or 32 bit)
Specs needed: Mem,HD,Video.

#4 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

OldPhil - I have run a clean install on three occasions, deleting the partition each time. The disk has been thoroughly tested as well as a memtest

I don't like OS upgrades - too many problems. I do a clean install whenever possible.

Roodo - The machine is a P4 3Ghz with 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, PCI-E Connect3D C3D 3034 ATI Radeon X550 DVI/VGA

Win 7 Pro 32bit

I'm thinking the issue could be the memory. It installed quite happily with 1Gb. The first time around I installed Office, printers, and other applications. There were no performance issues. The problem comes with the windows updates. I will probably have to order some memory but I'm reluctant to do so until I've confirmed that it's the problem. 

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Try doing the Windows updates prior to any program installs.

#6 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

OldPhil - did that the third time. Only installed win7,,connected to internet then MS updates - same result

#7 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Id work it a step at a time. Reinstall, manual updates, no software, no peripherals. Turn off/on test for black screen. Update all the computer drivers. off/on test for fuctionality...
(and security update for windows 8 on a 7 machine was that right?)

#8 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Roodo - Win8 security updates have nothing to do with this. It's win7 Pro dvd installer followed by Microsoft updates..

I've already done what you suggest, one step at a time.

There are 110 win7 updates to process, are you suggesting I do one at a time, restarting after each until I get a black screen?

I found this on MS - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978226/en-us

AMD implemented eDP support after the Windows 7 DVD was finished. Therefore, the AMD Radeon graphics driver on the Windows 7 retail DVD does not support eDP.

AMD has released an updated driver that fixes the eDP issue. The update must be incorporated into the setup process for setup to complete successfully.

I have downloaded the driver, but the only way I can install it is to reinstall win7 for the 4th time, which I've just started.

What puzzles me is that the cards worked with XP, so why not win7 - that is the X550 should not have eDP!

The AMD website was not clear on whether the X550 would be at issue.

I'm also installing this time using the DVI port rather than VGA

#9 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

From Plawrie
I tried installing for the 4th time. This time using the DVI instead of VGA but it made no difference. Black screen again.
I Installed from scratch, when complete I set ms updates to download but let me choose.
Allowed to download 109 updates from MS and then restarted
Although set to 'let me choose when to install' the updates began installing on shutdown.
Waited until 109 installed, PC shutdown, restarted and updated to 30% then auto-restarted. After this I am back to where I started. No startup - black screen. No option but to use win7 dvd to do it all again.
The AMD catalyst software I downloaded  was irrelevant. It did not find supported hardware. The ATI Radeon card is using MS driver X300 X550 X1050

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Possibly one or more of the updates is messing with a driver or two, is this machine used on the net?  If not do without the updates!

#11 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

It will be on the internet so I need updates.

Installed again, number 6

Installed first 2 updates KB2534111 and KB976902 - restarted OK

Selected 12 security updates for total of 5.9Mb - installed - restarted, updating to 30% and black screen.

Installed again for try number 7

Increased swap space to 2048Mb

Installed first 2 updates KB2534111 and KB976902 - restarted OK

Took first update of 111 = KB2900986 and restarted OK

Installed Just IE11 - restarted - updating to 30% and restart then black screen as before.

#12 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

Run number 8

Applied updates in small numbers - no more than 5 or 6 at a time. 26 successfully applied

Then tried kb2621440, kb2631813, kb2644615, kb2653956, kb2654428, kb2655992

Apparently applied OK, restarted and it stuck at Starting Windows.

I know from past experience if I try a checkpoint recovery using the win7 installation disk it won't work and I'll have the black screen again.

The only reason I can think of is that the machine has two 512Mb pc3200

I've tested the memory with memtest as well as the built in memory test on the windows disk without finding an error.

According to Crucial it should have pc2700. I've ordered two @ 1Gb pc2700 and will wait until they arrives. 

I will be surprised if this fixes the problem, as I've not seen this behaviour before.

#13 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

kb2631813, kb2653956 are security updates for xp

Have you tried any bios and chipset upgrade prior to install of updates?

#14 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Roodo

All the 21 updates I applied in small groups were security updates.

I had previously found that just installing ie10 on its own caused the problem.

I have not tried any bios or chipset upgrades prior to installation.

To reiterate, there are three apparently identical Asus machines which were running XP..

On the first I did a clean install of win7 without a problem, including all 100+ win7 updates in one go.

This one I have tried 9 times now. The installation works perfectly every time. The issue is that if I try to install updates more than a few at a time, it just stops with a black screen and no way of recovery.

The only difference between this one and the first is that it has 1Gb instead of 2Gb on the first machine.

I also noted that Crucial recommend 2 @ 1Gb PC2700 for it, while it currently has 2 @ 512Mb PC3200

Memtest does not find a problem with the memory, but it is about the only difference I can find between the two.

I am currently running another exhaustive disk test, but so far have not found a single error on the disk.

Peter

#15 plawrie

plawrie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Aaaaaah!

Forget it.

I had tried chkdsk /f /r and founf nothing.

memtest did not find a problem

The windows disktest did not find a problem

However, previously I ran a diskcheck from a tufftest dvd, it seemed ok for the first 20% of the disk so I stopped it to save time.

Now I have run it again and allowed it to keep going. It has stopped dead - without indicating an error at a sector address just a bit beyond where I stopped it previously. I tried it again and it stopped at the same point. So clearly I have a hard error on the disk. It must be just beyond the point that windows uses for the initial installation but used by the time the updates are applied.

WIn XP installer had the option of a thorough format, win7 does not. That might have picked this up.

Also it teaches me not to jump to conclusions and let the disk surface analysis go all the way.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users