Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB stick locked with write protection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ridgewayranger

ridgewayranger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hi, I have a 64gb usb stick which I think I may have killed off. I removed without using the safe removal facility,(the truth is I did not know it existed!)

Anyway I tried various things, including just about everything I could find online.I now have P-Magic loaded and it reads all sorts of information but its all greek to me. There is nothing on the stick but I can't format or use it. Anyone have ideas on how to revive it?

Ridgewayranger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Does the flash drive show in disk management? If it does and it does not show a drive letter right click the drive and provide an unassigned drive letter.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 March 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#3 ridgewayranger

ridgewayranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

It shows and has a drive letter, RAW file system, healthy primary partition. In Pmagic there is a lot of stuff, Invalid FAT boot sector, Bad ending sector(CMG & LDA don't match), No partition is bootable. All meaningless to me I'm afraid. Thanks for your interest.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Download this utility. It should see the USB flash drive. Select FAT32, Quick Format, and do the format making absolutely sure you are formatting the USB flash drive and not your hard drive.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool_1.png

#5 ridgewayranger

ridgewayranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Many thanks. I'll give it a go but I'm not holding my breath. Every time I try to format it says the stick is Write protected.

#6 ridgewayranger

ridgewayranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

As I suspected, The Device is Write Protected. What I actually need is some way of clearing that.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

See if the steps here will work. If that doesn't work we can try to do it in linux.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-fix-write-protection-errors-on-a-usb-stick/

#8 ridgewayranger

ridgewayranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

No, it didn't work. Message,"disk does not contain recognized file system". In Disk Properties file system is blank. It would appear I need to put in a file system, but how? For what it is worth I do have a Parted-Magic disk which boots into Linux.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Boot Parted Magic and launch Gparted. In the upper right dropdown box, select your USB flash drive. It should be labeled something like sdb or sdd. Make sure you are working with the USB flash drive and not your other hard drive(s). In the "Device" menu select new partition table. It should warn that all data will be erased. After you create the new partition table, you can create partitions and format them under the Partition Menu. You can format to NTFS or FAT32 depending on your wishes.

Here is a good tutorial.

#10 ridgewayranger

ridgewayranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

O.K. Can't get past new partition! The following appears,"libparted bug found". "Can't write to DEV/SDC because it is opened read only." I have been down the route of removing Read  Only, it has no effect.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

From what I have read, it's possible the manufacturer of the drive hard codes the USB drive as read-only if it detects a fault. Sandisk does this.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/101637/usb-turn-write-protection-off/138051#138051

"http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2030703" see post #20

You can try the  Secure Erase function of parted magic which uses the hdparm command to zero the drive. Then try partitioning and format. If that does not work, I am pretty much out of ideas.

If you use the command line of hdparm make sure you correctly identify the device using the command fdisk -l

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2014 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users