Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Mysterious Case of the Ghost Clipboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheGhostClipboard

TheGhostClipboard

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:38 AM

I was attempting to paste some text on my computer, and instead got a string of Chinese text that I never copied:

瑨灴⼺眯扥献牵敧汰祡挮浯琯獥⽴整瑳栮浴

I don't know how it could have possibly got there, I don't have anything that uses Chinese text on my computer.

Some details about the setup:

It is a Windows 7 desktop connected to a Debian desktop via Synergy, with the Debian desktop acting as the server and the W7 as the client.

The text I was trying to copy was an http link I had copied on the Debian desktop, and wanted to paste on the Windows side.

The Synergy clipboard sync has always worked before, but I can't get it to sync either way now (I had to send the Chinese text to my other computer using XMPP)

The desktop does not appear to be infected after running both avast! and Malwarebytes scans, and I am generally clueless as to what could have caused this.

If anyone has any ideas, or has seen similar issues, please reply.

Edited by TheGhostClipboard, 18 March 2014 - 02:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:26 AM

瑨灴⼺眯扥献牵敧汰祡挮浯琯獥⽴整瑳栮浴

Seems to be more of a "Generic Symbolic Language" than Chinese.

My computer will not hold a Chinese word, but often it holds "odd symbols".

Some (1 or 2) of the symbols will show in a Google Chinese search (when enabled), but not the lot.

If I hit "Reply" and it is not there, it may be Chinese, otherwise you have hit ???

Since it is via a server, were both set to English and your time and language ?? 

#3 TheGhostClipboard

TheGhostClipboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:31 AM

The Synergy server/client is over LAN, not someone else's server.

Both computers are set to use English (US) language, and as said have worked fine before. This could be a case of just garbage data being loaded into the clipboard, but running the text through a machine translator results it semi-coherent text with a few untranslatable pieces.

"Jin Hong Midenxianqian Ji eliminating Chai Tiwuguanjiao attention immediately Zhengcuoeryu"

I'm not too familiar with Chinese, but I would assume the sequence 'attention immediately' would require more than one character, and as such the probability of the sequence appearing instead of some other incoherent garbage is somewhat low.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

Well -

I am back on my XP SP3 and I just have a series of SQUARES ..... No Chinese Symbols ........

That seems to prove (or disprove) my theory No 1.

"Jin Hong Midenxianqian Ji eliminating Chai Tiwuguanjiao attention immediately Zhengcuoeryu"

(eliminating Chai Tiwuguanjiao) seems to be taking him (her) off the bulk list of contacts.

I would say it is a Redirected email (or similar posting).

A missing or dual meaning word in Translators is not unusual, since some words or phrases just do not translate 100%.

You will find this when going from English language to other languages.

I chat to other European people, and their phrases are often missing pieces from their direct translation.

#5 TheGhostClipboard

TheGhostClipboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

My issue isn't the meaning of the text, but how it got there. I don't work with any Chinese people and did not copy the text, yet when I attempted to paste a link I had copied I got that instead.

I posted the translated text as a possible sign of it being sourced from somewhere, and not completely random.

I mainly made this topic to see if anyone else had a similar experience, or if this string of text is a well-known string dropped by some virus, or something of that nature.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

Just offering opinions on the post -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users