Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Incompatibility?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 doglover888

doglover888

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

I have a Dell Pentium computer (tower) that came with a Dell keyboard. The keys are very hard to press & tire my fingers out. I have an HP keyboard I tried to swap out. But the tab key won't work when I put it on my Dell. It worked on the HP so I know that's not the problem. Are there any tricks I can use to make the HP compatible with the Dell?
My fingers are killing me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm fairly computer illiterate so try to be elementary in your help.

Thanks! Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

Hi doglover888!

The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps there were drivers installed on the dell that ran the keyboard. This might screw up the HP keyboard that you're trying to use. If there are drivers installed for the dell keyboard, uninstall them then plug in the HP keyboard (and install drivers if needed). You should be able to uninstall any drivers for them from the "Add & Remove programs" option in the control panel.....it's just a matter of finding the correct ones to remove :thumbsup:

If either is a specialty keyboard (media keyboard etc.) than they'll require drivers for all the extra functions to work. I should think that dell drivers wouldn't work well with an HP keyboard :huh:

Alternately, keyboards are fairly inexpensive. You might want to consider going to your local PC shop, or a Walmart (or where ever, even order one online) and picking up a new one and using it.

Hope this helps! If not, let us know and we'll go from there! :huh:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 doglover888

doglover888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

Thanks so much stevealmighty! You're a genius & a sweety to help me! That worked. I have so much to learn about computers.

Lisa

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

Thanks so much stevealmighty! You're a genius & a sweety to help me! That worked.
Lisa

Thank you Lisa! This quote just might become my new sig :thumbsup: Can I get one of the mods here to witness this please, so that everyone knows I'm not making this up :huh:

Just kidding! Glad to know that I helped (moreover that it worked out for you!).

If there's anything else, just post back and let us know!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users