Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown device Ayecom

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Hello,

I'm really puzzled by the sudden appearance of this DSL device  in my Lenovo Thinkpad.

I am connected by a newly installed Netgear DGN2200M wireless router and laptop is almost new

with Win8.1 64bit system.

It seems to appear at startup , then it comes &  goes .

So far i havent noticed this device in my desktop computer..

When i click on it i get the following details under properties:

AyecomWPSAP
Manufacturer: Ayecom
Model: AyecomWAP
Model Number: DSL2740
Serial Number: 12345
Mac Address: 14:d6:2d:f3:20:1e
Unique Identifer : unavailable
IP address : unavailable

I have done some research and found a thread on Whirpool forums , but there wasn't any real solution offered , see here > http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1728112

I'd really appreciate some advice on this !

Thanks in advance !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527245/netgear-and-windows-issue-unknown-device-appearing-on-windows-file-explorer/  Except for the name of the device is what is going on with this person's what is going on with you? As your link says it has something to do with a D-Link router. Specially that model number is a Dlink

I'm baffled about what is going on, specially if it is about the same. Check your router to see if anything is connecting. 

I'll admit I am limited in my knowledge of wireless 7 or 8 because I do not have anything wireless. But I'm thinking I need to remedy that and get a wireless USB for my desktop =)

Edit: just ordered one lol

Edited by CaveDweller2, 18 March 2014 - 12:24 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 briggs&straton

briggs&straton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Well it definitely looks like it's some sort of wireless access point. Do you have any settings that are set on your router that could possibly be the "WAP" ?

I would definitely Look at your routers configs and see if anything is turned on that shouldn't be.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Personally i would run the command (arp -a | find /i "14-d6-2d-f3-20-1e") from the comamnd line and find the IP address. Then i would procees to throw that IP into a browser (After pinging it) and see if i can loginto the interface. This would atleast determine the device because some devices broadcast with other names because of cheaper boards that certain manufacturers use on the modem/routers.

#5 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hello Cavedweller , Briggs & Johnny...

Thanks so much for  the responses..bit late i know , but i had to go out of town with work & just got back.

It's very late here , i will have a closer look at the suggestions after a good nights sleep..

It's a brand new wireless router and what makes this even stranger  that it only shows up in

the laptop.. maybe its a chinese spy ?..lol

I have checked the router logs and there's no sign of anyone accessing it..

Will post back tmrw..

Cheers.. :hello:

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Well also take note that there is malware targeting modem/routers for a lot of manufacturers and they can also broadcast as another type of router to act as man in the middle attacks. make sure the firmware is up to date mate and if you are unsure if the exploit can be used against the modem then test it on grc shields up website and click the UPnP button.

#7 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hi Johnny

Again.,. thanks for your response.. :)

I've done some checks as well as chatted with tech support from Netgear,

adjusted some of the router settings, like changed pw/name etc.. but no holes in security. 

They seem to think its just a device in close proximity and the reason only shows in laptop

is because it has a better range than desktop ( Xp Pro that i'll have to say goodbye  :lmao:  to soon

& upgrade to win7 )

Also i check in router for devices connected and there's just me.. I am well aware of all the nasties out there and try to keep up with latest risks as well as making sure my machines/programs updated.

Visited the "grc shields up" website, looks really interesting , it's new to me and i will browse their pages to make sure i'm as secure as one can be,. :busy:

I'll post back if there's any new development..

Thanks a million for your input..

Cheers :hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users