Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Acarr

Acarr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Hello all, my laptop BSOD'd last night for the third time this month, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I bought this laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad T420s) two months ago, used (it's a couple years old) and put my own hard drive in it, reformatted it and installed Windows.

Windows 7 Professional x64

Service Pack 1

Intel core i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz

8GB RAM

I didn't write down the details from the first two BSOD, but the last one said "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." Technical info in the spoiler.

Spoiler

I'm having trouble uploading files, so I'll post the minidump debug of my most recent BSOD under a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

And the debug from the BSOD two days ago:

Spoiler

Below are some of the errors/warnings from Event Viewer from around the time of the last BSOD. (There are so many error/warning messages I can't post them all)

Spoiler

As I shot in the dark, I replaced both of my memory cards with a single 4GB memory card which I know is good. So far, no BSOD (though I wouldn't expect one) but I'm still receive the same errors/warnings in Event Viewer (which I should excpet since none seem to be memory related anyway)

The BSOD's happen randomly, and I'm only ever running qBittorrent, notepad (or TED notepad), and Firefox (with probably a million tabs open).

Thanks so much for your time! Let me know if you need anything else.

Ana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi

NETwNs64.sys is the driver file of your Intel wireless adapter. Event log also shows WiFi related errors.

Warning 3/16/2014 8:39:56 PM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 10002 None "WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

I would recommend updating your wireless driver. Uninstall the old one ( Intel PROSET wireless ) and try installing the below version.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23491/eng/Wireless_16.7.0_Ds64.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=23491&DownloadType=Software+Applications&OSFullname=Windows+7+(64-bit)*&ProductID=3062&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+WiFi+Link+5300+and+Intel%C2%AE+WiFi+Link+5100+products

The BSOD's happen randomly, and I'm only ever running qBittorrent, notepad (or TED notepad), and Firefox (with probably a million tabs open).

You should minimize the number of tabs in Firefox.

#3 Acarr

Acarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Thank you, I uninstalled the old proset drivers and installed te new ones. I just re-started my computer, but I'm still getting error logs in Event Viewer.

Spoiler

I'm looking at Device Manager right now, after installing the new drivers, some devices under "Network adapters" have changed, which I think is normal. My wireless card "Intel Centrino ...." is listed twice though, once under Network Adapters and again under "Other Devices" with a yellow warning sign by the icon. The one under "Other Devices" says "The drivers for this device are not installed," and when I select "Update driver" it cannot find the correct driver. The other Intel Centrino adapter under Network Adapter is working fine though, with the newly installed drivers. Should I disable the second one?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

The one under "Other Devices" says "The drivers for this device are not installed,"

It means your WiFi card came with dual functions -probably it will be a WiFi + Wimax adapter. In that case, please choose the correct model from the drop down menu and download the appropriate driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

#5 Acarr

Acarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Hello Anshad, I just had another bluescreen. It was caused by NETwsw00.sys, the wifi driver that replaced NETwNs64.sys which caused my previous blue screens.

You are right about the WiFi + WiMax dual function, but for some reason I was not able to get the driver for the WiMax function to install from the website (It's the same PROSET driver set). 

Here is the minidump debug

Spoiler

Do you think this might be a hardware problem instead of a software problem? Could it be a problem with the wifi adapter itself?

It is Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250

Thank you so much for all your help so far

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

Do you think this might be a hardware problem instead of a software problem? Could it be a problem with the wifi adapter itself

Please try the below steps to find a pattern.

1. Since generic drivers from Intel is not fully functional, please uninstall it and download the driver from your system manufacturer's website. Make sure both WiFi and Wimax installed properly.

2. Delete  or move all the crash dumps from "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder. 

3. If BSOD continues with the OEM driver also, try to find a pattern. For example you might be getting BSOD only when downloading torrents or using Chrome , Skype etc. Try to reproduce the BSOD by running a specific app.

If you can't find a pattern, zip and upload all the crash dumps ( minimum 3 ) with next reply. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 19 March 2014 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users