Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Flashing Underscore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PRWizzy

PRWizzy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hi Guys,   I am working on a Toshiba Satellite l655 (that was dropped) and I am having an issue, it doesn't boot up. I turn it on and it just stays at black screen with a flashing underscore. I tried pressing F2, F12, F8 and all it does is makes a loud annoying beep everytime I press any key.  At first It says there was a problem with the hard drive. It said " A DISK ERROR HAS OCCURED, PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART." I opened up the laptop, unplugged everything, checked to connections and tried it again, same thing happened. I even connected that HDD to my desktop and it couldn't find it. I bought a new HDD and now the screen just stays black with the flashing underscore. I still can't get the boot menu, can't even get in to the BIOS. Can anyone help me with this issue??

Thank you,

PRWizzy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hi PRWizzy, please try removing the RAM sticks alternately to none and check the beep changes. Remove battery pack and power cord unplugged then press the power button for 20 seconds and see if there is a post problem or not after.

Tekken

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

You could also remove the HDD and mount it in another system, and see if it will read/write.

#4 PRWizzy

PRWizzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hey Jhayz
It doesn't beep unless I press a key. It just stays at a black screen with that flashing underscore. It doesn't let me go into boot options or even in the bios. I have tried removing every component in the laptop and turning it on, and same thing happens. The only time it changes is when I put the old hard drive back in. And the only thing that changes is that it says " a disk error has occurred, press alt, ctrl, and delete to reboot" so I thought it was the HDD. I bought a new one and that message doesn't pop up anymore. I checked it before I bought a new one (netghost56). I bought an adapter and connected to my desktop. I can't even get in it. I tried running CHKDSK on it and an error kept popping up. So I figured the HDD is done for.

Is it possible that since the HDD is brand new, it doesn't boot up because there is no OS installed in it yet?
Also, could this be happening because maybe the BIOS got damaged?

Thanks,
PRWizzy

#5 PRWizzy

PRWizzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hey Guys I solved the problem...... I just unplugged the BIOS battery for a while (15-30 min) and put everything back together, and now it doesn't have the black screen with the underscore anymore.  :bananas:

Thanks,

PRWizzy

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:53 AM

Great News PRWizzy and glad you were able to resolve the problem. :clapping:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic