Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my video card dead?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 food77

food77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have had this Zotak NV 9800GT for a few years, and am worried that it recently passed on.  Nutshell of it is, when I turn my PC on, the monitor recognizes that something is connected to it, meaning, that the light goes green, and the little box that typically floats around on the screen stating "No input devices connected" goes away, but I never see bios options, or anything other than a black screen.  I can feel the fan working on the video card.  I put another spare video card into the system, an older 7100GT and am able to see bios just fine.  The power supply on this machine is less than a few months old, and seems fine, but just to be sure, I confirmed that I can replicate these same symptoms when I put the video card into other working machines.  I took out the card, blew out all the dust on it, same..

Am I SOL?  Anything I could try here that I have not thought of.  Your advice is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

If you're not seeing the BIOS text when you boot and then replace the card and do see it, sounds pretty conclusive that the video card is bad.

#3 food77

food77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

I agree with you.  I guess I was just looking for some sort of ace in the hole that I had not yet tried.  This was a great vid card while it lasted.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Better your videocard than your motherboard. Do you have onboard video? I'd use that in the meantime, or the older card you mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users