Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB - Undetected, but light still comes on. Data recovery crucial.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vepoppins

vepoppins

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hey, everyone!

So, today's conundrum: I have a USB key (Lexar Firefly 16GB) which holds all of my teaching and grading materials for the past several years. It was working fine this morning, but as classes continued, I noticed that I was being erratically booted out of my PowerPoint presentations (which are stored on the key). When I got home, my USB key wasn't recognized or detected by any of the home computers, and the indicator light wouldn't show up.

I resoldered the light (it wasn't coming on; it does now), the joints, and the crystal in the hopes of coaxing it back to life, but while the indicator light now flashes on, I still can't get the computer to recognize the USB key or any of the files on it. I tried calling Lexar, but they weren't terribly helpful.

I have Windows Vista and Windows 7 on my home computers. I've tried TestDisk and Recuvera, but since the USB itself isn't found on the system, it was a moot point.

Are there any other methods that could work for recovering the data on the key? I could care less about the physical USB, but I'd really, REALLY love to be able to scootch the files on it over to my hard drive for safety.

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vepoppins

vepoppins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Update: So now the drive is registering as an "unknown device." I've tried to update the drivers, but the drivers do not help resolve this issue. Does anyone have any hints/tips?

Thanks again!!!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Apparently you have tried it in two different systems, for starters right my computer then click on manage see if it shows.  I am leaving for the evening but I am sure more will jump in.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 vepoppins

vepoppins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hey Phil - I've just tried it; no dice. :/ Thanks for the suggestion, though.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hello,

This might work if no drive letter is assigned to the flash drive.

Right click Computer, select Manage > Disk Managment. Do you see the USB flash drive in Disk Managment? If you do does it have a drive letter? If not, Right Click on the device and select Change Drive letter and give it some non-assigned letter.

#6 vepoppins

vepoppins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hey John! Solid advice, but I managed to fix it myself with some tinkering.

For anyone who might be having the same problem: there's a crystal, looking similar to an electrolytic capacitor, inside USB keys. I must have damaged mine when I dropped it earlier, because all I had to do to get the thing working again was remove a working crystal from a "throwaway" USB I had and use that to replace the damaged one. Presto, chango, the USB is back to normal!

Thanks to everyone who helped!!!

ISSUE RESOLVED

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for that update. Very nice fix!

Edit: For everybody not familiar with the crystal.

http://infar.be/index.php?/archives/1002-My-experiences-with-USB-FLASH-drive-drive-repair.html#extended

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 March 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

I agree with JohnC - nice fix !  But just in case it lets go again, perhaps more permanently, do you have this data backed up any where else ?

Your data is the important stuff in any system, re-installing operating systems and applications is a real pain and replacing hardware may be expensive, but unless you have more than one copy of your data - if you lose it, it is lost.

@JohnC_21 #7  -  interesting article. I have never tried it but I must remember that one.

Chris Cosgrove

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users