Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satellite C-55a Wireless Not Operating Correctly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 D&S+14

D&S+14

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi, I have a Toshiba C-55A, 2.4Ghz, 6MB ram and I'm having issues with its wireless controller.

I just came from the malware section, and the computer is squeaky clean.  What's happening is that I should be getting 5.0Mbps out of it, but I'm only getting 0.65 Mbps out of it.

I've isolated it to the wireless adapter, though it wouldn't let me re-install the driver.  Plugging in a Netgear USB wireless works.  So.. I don't know entirely what that all means.  I need help, I can't live with a 0.65 Mbps and I can't live with a friend's Netgear forever.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

So I assume on the USB dongle you're back to acceptable speeds? Do you get an error or something when you try to install your wireless adapter? And what did you do to uninstall it? Just device manager or Add/Remove programs too? Should do both.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Yes, with the USB I'm back to 5.0 Mbps, where I should be.  No error, and it autoinstalled. I just had to give it the security key to the network.  So I've been using it all day, but I can't keep on using it forever.

Interestingly, when I use the built-in receiver, I can start the computer and immediately have speeds of 5.0 Mbps.. then when I'm done testing (speedtest.net) I do it immediately again at 4.0 Mbps... 3Mbps.. 2Mbps... 0.6 Mbps.  That's very odd behavior.

The router that I normally use is also a Netgear.

Edited by D&S+14, 17 March 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

When I asked about the error I was asking about the built in one. Because you said you couldn't install it. So how did you uninstall it?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Oh, that was a mistake in my writing.  I never re-installed it, I was thinking of something else.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ok, then starting in device manager, remove the built in wireless, then go to Programs and Features in the Control panel and find any and all the software that has to do with the built in wireless and uninstall it. Before you reboot, go get the drivers for it either from the Toshiba web site or if you know the brand of the built in wireless go to their site and get it. Toshiba will be easier but if you can get it from the source that is better. Then reboot and install the built in wireless software/drivers.

#7 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Did that, still does the 5, 4, 3, 2, 0.65 thing on me. :-(

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

So you downloaded new drivers for it and completely removed all software that has to do with it(Device manager and Programs) and just installed the driver letting windows control it?

So we know it's not your router, because the USB one works. Have you tried it on a different network? like a coffee shop or a friend's wireless? If it works on another network then it might just be a setting in properties that needs tweaking to get it working with your router.

#9 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

No, I haven't thought to try it on another network.  I really don't have any to try on. 

What kinds of properties might need to be tweaked?  Not exactly numbers or settings, but possibilities?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users