Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD CPU Affinity Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnBob123

JohnBob123

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Hi, all. I wasn't certain if I should put this in Windows XP Pro, as that's my OS with SP3, or in here, so if it's wrong, you know what to do. I have an AMD Athlon 2 X2 250 3.01 GHz CPU, and also instead of using Windows's own Task Manager, I use Process Lasso mainly, but also have Process Explorer in place of Windows's own one, as well. I have noticed that a lot of my programmes, including visual Basic, don't use both cores, although in both Process Lasso and Process Explorer, the CPU affinity is set for both cores. Checking the programme Everest to see what it can tell me about my CPU, it doesn't show anything is wrong with it. However it says, "CPU Type Unknown, 3015 MHz", and "Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3", including an unknown motherboard name and chipset. The mobo is an ATA mobo, but I can't remember what I bought (!) and looking in the case I can't see, but it says "ECS" on it, if that helps. I bought the parts and built the computer myself a couple of years ago. Is there anything I can do to make both cores be actually used on all programmes by default, and of course working if I change the affinity? If not, can something be done to check what the problem might be? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

This is to do with the way the programs themselves are written.  A single threaded program will only make use of one core.  You might want to use programs that are multi-threaded (if such alternatives exist) instead of the programs you are using.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Oh, OK. Thanks. I have heard of threads and multi-threadding, but don't know a lot about it.

If I were to share the code here of the vB project I have (or start a new topic if I have to) could someone help me with adding multi-threadding to it?

By the way, I used paragraphs here but after I send my reply the site doesn't keep it, so forgive me or the site for the walls of text! :)

Edit:
Oh, it kept the paragraphs this time.

Edited by JohnBob123, 18 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

It's beyond the scope of my knowledge but you never know, someone might be able to help with a Visual Basic program.

A search of Google finds some pages that may be useful like this.

As a non expert observation, what I've seen on multi core systems is that the only applications I use that make use of all available cores, are one's that do really heavy duty number crunching.  I'm thinking things like Handbrake (video encoding), 7zip (compression), rendering programs etc.  Also some newer games are now optimised for multi-core processing while older games were all single threaded. 

However multi cores help in other ways because there's always several processes running which on a single core system would be competing for the CPU, while they can get allocated to another available core in a multi core system.  That's perhaps a reason for not overriding processor affinity settings in normal circumstances.  The operating system should be capable of allocating CPU resources appropriately.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 March 2014 - 01:10 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

I'd much prefer to have a forum where I can slowly be taught, than trying to learn on my own and become confused and frustrated.

I do tend to leave the affinities alone for exactly the reason you said about sharing the workload of multiple processes, but I was just hoping it would be possible to use both/all cores in the programme.

P.S. Sorry for taking a long time to reply.

Edited by JohnBob123, 15 April 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Isn't there a Visual Basic forum somewhere?

There's a "Programming Forum" here at BC but I don't know if that will serve your intent.

VB Forums Per Google

Louis

#7 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Isn't there a Visual Basic forum somewhere?

There's a "Programming Forum" here at BC but I don't know if that will serve your intent.

VB Forums Per Google

Louis

I should think so, lol. I automatically come to 1 of 3 forums, this being 1. The name of here is very apt, lols.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users