Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on a budget build please?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 will mac

will mac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi, I know this is probably asked numerous times a day, but was hoping for some advice and feedback on my very first build?

First off, I'm looking to mainly play games on it, but I'm not that fussed about high level performance. The kind of games I'm likely to play are Elder Scrolls Online, Civ, FM2014, Skyrim and similar. Maybe even trying to run 2-3 Everquest games at once as I used to 2 box back in the day, and the 15th Anniversary has made me very nostalgic :)

Secondly, I'm looking to go as cheap as possible for a basic set up to do what I'd need. Getting upgrades when needed, such as better graphics card or even processor, maybe at Christmas for graphics card and next September (2015) for processor. So I'm looking for a motherboard that will last awhile.

This is what I've been looking at:

AMD Athlon II X4 750K CPU - (Black) (Quad Core, 3.40GHz, 4MB, 100W, Socket FM2, AMD PowerNow! Technology)

Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 970/SB950, 4x DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0, USB 3.0, USB BIOS Flashback, Windows 8 Ready, Socket AM3+)

HyperX Blu Series 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM Gaming Memory Kit (2 x 4 GB) - XMP Ready

Sapphire Radeon R7 250 2GB DDR3 Graphics Card

WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue

Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit

Cooler Master K-Series K280 Case for ATX PC

How feasible would this be? Any places it's better to just spend a bit more on now? 

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

The power supply is the one item I would take up a notch, Amazon is good but a little more shopping may help.  The build looks good and should do fairly well doing what you wish.  Give Part picker and Ebay a shot to get costs down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/electronics/computers-tablets-networking

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

P.S. if you can shave off enough to get 120G SSD or larger to use for the system that is a great boost in performance.

Edited by OldPhil, 17 March 2014 - 12:56 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 will mac

will mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Thank you. Will look into it.

#4 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Agree with Dopple: always better (double especially if you are planning to upgrade later) to have more power than you think is the maximum amount needed to run your proposed build. Can't go wrong with more power. 

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

i would opt for the amd radeon hd7790 or the new Nvidia 750ti for a few GBP more.. the mentioned r7 250 has the gddr3 which is twice as slow as the gddr5 on the 7790 or 750ti. the r7 250 has the gddr5 flavor also and can be crossfired with the amd apu series cpus (a-8, a-10 etc) also for future adaptability in another rig if you want to stay with that component line-up.. .

Edited by synergy513, 24 March 2014 - 12:37 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users