Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Optional update delivery is not working"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJAkari

DJAkari

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hello, I just got on my laptop like normally and randomly a window popped up saying "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting." This scared me half to death because I have no idea what to do about it. I checked other forums about it on several different sites, some saying it's a virus such as ransomware and others saying it is legit. 

Here is what the alert looks like: http://www.kodyaz.com/images/windows-7/you-may-be-a-victim-of-software-counterfeiting.PNG

I have no idea how to fix this problem; any help would be greatly appreciated, 

-Meghan

Edited by DJAkari, 17 March 2014 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi DJAkari-

Hello and welcome to The Bleeping Computer Forums :welcome: . My name is Fastwalker and I will be helping you with your computer issues today. :)

Resolving malware issues may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.

Please take note of some guidelines for this process:

- If you do not make a reply within 5 days, we will have to close your topic.

- You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here(Insert Link)

- Please refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Also, please do not take any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.

- If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.

- Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.

- Please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.

- Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
DDS.com
DDS.pif
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • Click on Start.
  • After the scan has finished, confirm the message with Ok.
  • DDS will automatically open the logfile.
  • You can find the logfile on your desktop as well.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

#3 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hello DJAkari

It has been more than 48 hours since my last post.

• do you still need help with this?
  • do you need more time?
  • are you having problems following my instructions?
  • if after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will be closed :)

Fastwalker

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users