Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Public DNS Server Traffic Compromised

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yesterday, March 16th, 2014, it was reported that google's public DNS server traffic was hijacked for 22 minutes, according to internet monitoring BGPmon.net's twitter feed. It reportedly affected networks in Brazil & Venezuela, redirecting millions of internet users, including many government agencies and financial institutions in those regions. 

It is suspected that the hijackers used a well known vulnerability in the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), BGP is used to exchange data between large service providers, if the hijackers utilized this vulnerability they could redirect traffic to a router they controlled. 

This is not the first time Google's public DNS servers have been the victim of hijacking. In 2010, DNS traffic was redirected to Romania and Austria. 

More info: http://www.itnews.com.au/News/375278,google-dns-servers-suffer-brief-traffic-hijack.aspx

Even more info: http://thehackernews.com/2014/03/google-public-dns-server-traffic.html

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

Thank god we are safe..I would recommend Google to hire small age people who can recognise such vulnerabilities using simple techniques.

Guys please comment

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

I've been getting "This Webpage is not available" the past few hours.  I can reach Bleepingcomputer through my bookmarks, but none of the others.   Can't reach anything else.  No mail.  This is, of course, Google, and it is the no DNS connection.

Just got service back at 6:15AM.  Surely someone noticed an outage of 4 hours?  Still don't know how I could reach BC and nothing else but glad I could.  Whew!!!!

Edited by MissLizz, 18 March 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

I've been noticing this activity increasing with Google Chrome in recent months, along with some SSL issues.

However, after reading the description of the recent Windows Updates, there was one (possibly two) that were aimed to fixing these issues. Since that time, I've received far less SSL errors, unfortunately didn't attempt to log onto this site at the time frame (the 4 hours that MissLizz mentions above).

In the last year, though my primary browser is still Firefox, I have been using Google more because it's faster. However, if this continues, I'll drop Google as fast as I began to use it, a DNS server hijack is a very serious issue to anyone who uses the browser. There are alternatives to Firefox other than Chrome/IE (Opera for one), this matter shouldn't be taken lightly.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

Here we also have DNS redirect from youtube, google and facebook to fake adobe flash download website which will download trojan to your computer.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

I noticed some problems with Google DNS a few days ago, so I switched to Norton ConnectSafe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users