Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 willkong

willkong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

My laptop won't shut down. It just remains functioning even after I try to turn it off. Does anyone know what's the problem and how to fix it? By the way, the problem only ocurred recently. I'm running on Service Pack 1. Thanks.

Edited by willkong, 16 May 2006 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

Hi willkong,
Please could you give us some more information about your laptop, eg. make, model etc..
Thanks,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Let's take a shot here:

Often XP's exit sound file gets corrupt and if it does not run then XP won't shut down. I am not sure based on what you have told us so far if this is the issue or not, but let's see:

Go to:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab

Under Program Events scroll down until you see Exit Windows. Highlight Exit Windows by clicking on it once. Then under Sounds choose None. Click Apply and finally OK.

Reboot if possible, or shut down computer and restart manually. Once it is up and running, shut down computer by going to Start > Turn Off Computer. See if it will shut down on it's own now.

If it does, the only difference will be that you will not longer hear the 2 seconds of music that XP usually plays as it shuts down.

Oh, and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 16 May 2006 - 12:49 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

Also one other thing you can try is just pressing the power button once quickly and releaaseing it. If the computer shuts down like normal then the circutry s/b ok then chances are it is a software problem. Most computers today can be shut down this way the older ones that are just AT's can not.

#5 willkong

willkong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:39 AM

It shuts down properly now. I'm still not sure of the problem. Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users