Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Drive almost full 1.47MB free of 254GB but I can't see where the data is!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikePD

MikePD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

Hoping you guys can help. I've an ASUS K53E Notepad which I've had from new but the D-drive as come up with only 1.47MB free of 254GB! I've looked on the D-drive and can find a VHD file of 83GB under Windows Image backup but that is the only large file, nothing to make up 254GB. This occurred a couple of weeks ago when I notice something was up freed some space up by booting out recycle bin and some other files which freed me a little breathing space of 11.9GB, but here I am 2 weeks later with just 1.47MB left! ASUS first line support were not able to help me so I have sent screenshots across to them (attached). I cannot find out what this data is on the D-drive or where it is coming from. Does it sound like a backup issue? If so where do I go to find out how to rectify the problem and how do I do it. Hoping someone can help me! Thanks MikePD.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

I can't open the file, but it sounds like Windows back up is using that drive.  It will fill any drive eventually.  If you are using Windows 7, go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore and choose Manage space.  You can then delete any older backups you don't need any more.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

You can use the following tool to visually inspect drive contents in detail:  WinDirStat .

Louis

#4 MikePD

MikePD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Jon and Louis, Problem seems to have been multiple backups even though my setting are for only keeping the latest one. Not sure what is going on there but has freed up a load of space and I now have 163.91GB of free space. Still not sure what the 83GB VHD file is but the first concern is solved. Thanks! MikePD

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

You're welcome! 

The VHD (virtual hard disk) file is a disk image backup.  The backup program works at two 'levels'.  Firstly it makes backups at file level.  This I believe, defaults to user files only - documents, music, video's, basically items in your user profile but not system files like the Windows and Program Files directories.  Secondly it optionally creates a complete disk image, which includes everything on the disk including system files.  If necessary, you could restore a complete disk image from the backup.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 MikePD

MikePD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Jon, Much appreciated! MikePD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users